Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to college in a week, and until i can find a way to safe gaurd my new fancy lami i will be using a cheaper 5 wt rod ( any recomendations thinking tfo???) . But I dont want to spend a tone on a new set up yet. so i was wondering if there would be any problems with buying an extra spool for my pfluger reel and putting 5 wt line on it?

I am not going to buy a cheap reel. I just want to know what if any problems there are for using 5wt line on a 7/8 reel?

Thanks in advanced,
John

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I am off to college in a week, and until i can find a way to safe gaurd my new fancy lami i will be using a cheaper 5 wt rod ( any recomendations thinking tfo???) . But I dont want to spend a tone on a new set up yet. so i was wondering if there would be any problems with buying an extra spool for my pfluger reel and putting 5 wt line on it?

I am not going to buy a cheap reel. I just want to know what if any problems there are for using 5wt line on a 7/8 reel?

Thanks in advanced,
John
No problem at all putting a 5 weight line on a 7/8 reel! The only thing you might notice is the 7/8 reel will be a little heavier than a 5/6 reel, and to that extent may make your rod feel imbalanced.

·
Steve Sullivan
48 Posts

Thanks in advanced,
John
Why not just buy a new reel? How much is a spool going to cost you? You can get a okuma sierra for just over $30. And that sierra will be able to handle any trout, maybe even steelhead (dont know if I would trust it on alaska chromers )

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Wack-n-stack,

A Pflueger Medalist intended to hold a 7 or 8 wt line is going to unbalance most 5 wt rods, unless the rod is really a long one. You might check the Allen Co. that advertises on this website and find a lightweight trout reel for a surprisingly lightweight price. I got one for a 7/8 line a few weeks back that appears to be a very good value. If you don't have the money for a Hardy or an Abel right now, what's wrong with a cheap reel for trout fishing? It's just a line holder.

Sg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.