Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
"Traction tires advised, heck I have all wheel drive, I can blast through at high speed and not worry about the warnings" - Typical Washingtonian Driver

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
Tell me about it! I love it when I'm driving 30 MPH over the pass with my 4 wheel drive on and a Volkswagon Jetta passes me doing 50.
Apparently you didn't drive over the I-90 yesterday. What a joke. People will put there chains on when it's bare and wet yet drive a grey sedan with their lights off in a heavy downpour.

What Alpine said is spot on.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have seen a few Audi's pretty messed up, but I agree with your point. I also agree with the other extreme Alpine pointed out. You have about 10-15% on either end of the driving spectrum that messes everything up. Actually it seems to apply to just about every spectrum.

·
NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
984 Posts
Since we're on a "crappy driver story" kick here- I was driving up 542 to snowboard at Baker Saturday before last. Road was pretty icy. We saw an Explorer on its side off the right shoulder. Stopped and made sure everyone was okay; the guy and gal said people were trying to get through to AAA on cell phones for them. I asked what happened and he says "I was passing a car and lost it". The east bound side was iced up. The west bound side where he was passing was a sheet of pure ice. I almost called him a special name but decided that snowboarding while he got towed somewhere would be good enough.

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
I have yet to see a Subaru flipped over or involved in a serious accident on the passes. It's always SUV's.
It never fails, every year I'll drive by some idiot that has his/her Subaru in a ditch or upside down. It is usually some yuppie or city dweller from out of state. Subarus are good cars from wht I've heard (as far as traction goes), but a Subaru and it's steller traction still can't stop stupid.

·
hates waking up early
951 Posts
It makes more of a difference in what tires you have vs your car. Get winter snow tires if you really want to be safe. Not all season tires, winter tires dammit.

Which reminds me, it's time to order some Dunlop winter m3's.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I just wish people would slow down when the road has a covering of packed snow. Just because they have snow tires on they don't have speed. These tires don't help when you are driving to fast for the conditions.

Jim

·
Banned
829 Posts
There was one day last winter when I benched the Xterra (with the Revos) because of condions. Not conditions the X couldn't handle, but because of what all of the other drivers were doing. Everyone sure was driving crazy-like.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Jesse do your buddy have stock dealership tires on his car?
not sure of the tires Chris. I do know that he's a cocky guy and probably overestimated himself. That being said, it gave me a big dose of humilty. He makes that trip every single weekend since he's a ski instructor. I figure if he could flip it, I surely could. Time to slow down and take it easy.

·
hates waking up early
951 Posts
Ya. When I first moved here I though everyone was over exaggerating about the snow. I then made a few trips up to Crystal and Alpental. Some of my trips were down right scary. Going directly into a storm to catch fresh snow can be a mighty stupid thing. After that I promised I would either get dedicated snow tires or grab a ride with somebody else.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I used to drive a 2wd chevy delivery van 300 miles a day from Silverthorne to Leadville to Vail, year-round, and while I got stuck a few times, it's all about skill, preparation, and sense.

I took a winter driving course in Steamboat sponsored by Bridgestone, which I learned a lot from, particularly how to lose control on ice and snow and how to get it back. That was on vehicles with 2wd and 4wd.

Be prepared, not scared, and understand how to drive in those conditions. Kinda like everything in life, yes?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.