Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a rod that can handle some larger bass and mid-sized carp. Is there anything out there that can split the difference, or am I looking at two different realms? I was originally looking for a 7wt, but a buddy suggested I might be a bit undergunned with bigger carp.

I won't be casting insane distances, and want something with the backbone to handle a strong carp run, but not be overly cludgy on delivery. Anyone have success with any models that can cover that range? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Looking for a rod that can handle some larger bass and mid-sized carp. Is there anything out there that can split the difference, or am I looking at two different realms? I was originally looking for a 7wt, but a buddy suggested I might be a bit undergunned with bigger carp.

I won't be casting insane distances, and want something with the backbone to handle a strong carp run, but not be overly cludgy on delivery. Anyone have success with any models that can cover that range? Thanks in advance!
What are examples of rods of interest/hoping to find?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Depending on the type of fly that you want to through for bass, either a 7 or 8 wt. will serve you well for both. There are many great rods these days. For pure function and great warrantee, It would be hard to be an Echo rod. I only have one Echo rod and was very surprised at the support I got when it had a mishap. I had similar very good support when I asked about a drag issue I was having with an Ion reel. If you are fishing for carp and have to potential to hook into a big bruiser, it could be good to have a good warrantee on the rod.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, got a line on a Gloomis locally that I am going to try out. Next question: reel suggestions? I know for carp, drag is going to be the primary concern. I was thinking something like a Natuilus or small salt reel

·
Registered
24 Posts
you really could not go wrong with a Danielsson reel. Insane sealed drag, salt safe, large wide arbor. Really well made. Great service as well. They get here quickly when you order. Price is shockingly low. Im just a fan thats all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you really could not go wrong with a Danielsson reel. Insane sealed drag, salt safe, large wide arbor. Really well made. Great service as well. They get here quickly when you order. Price is shockingly low. Im just a fan thats all.
I've got a couple smaller danielsson reels and I agree, for the price the quality is hard to beat. If I'm being real nitpicky, I wish the click on the drag was a bit more defined, but honestly the subtlety is probably a good trait...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can’t recommend fiberglass rods enough for carp. I have landed many giant carp on 4-5 wt fiberglass rods. I use the smaller rods for superior tippet protection because the carp I target are very leader shy and I usually use 5x flourocarbon and small flies. I also use click reels for carp and do not find a heavy drag system necessary. For bass, 7-8-9 wt rods of any kind will work just fine in any condition.

·
Fly Fisher, Bon Vivant!
385 Posts

I use an 8 weight. Perfect for carp and largemouth. I bought a used Sage RPLX 9 footer on Ebay for $150. I have caught carp on 6 weight but it's a bit too light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fly reels just hold the line, they are not casting, or spinning reels, all of the ones now days I have used will get the job done for you. The TFO NXT, one of the modern Pfleugers with drags, etc. have been shown to be more than adequate and durable. I was told my original silver Lamson Litespeeds were to delicate and would never last for big trout, steelhead and salmon fishing, 30 years later they are still going strong. There is a long history of the Plfeugers getting the job done by the anglers that own them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can’t recommend fiberglass rods enough for carp. I have landed many giant carp on 4-5 wt fiberglass rods. I use the smaller rods for superior tippet protection because the carp I target are very leader shy and I usually use 5x flourocarbon and small flies. I also use click reels for carp and do not find a heavy drag system necessary. For bass, 7-8-9 wt rods of any kind will work just fine in any condition.
Thanks! I've actually got an 8' 8wt fiberglass rod, so I'll give that a go!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi,
I have waded and fished the Salt for the last 21 years, 200+ days a year. For the last 8 years I have waded and fished the tidal marshes of SE SC for tailing redfish the average size of which is <>26" and 5+ pounds. I've found a 6wt a bit under gunned and a 9wt a bit over powered. A 7wt is my preference but an 8wt is best.
I own many rod/reel/line setups and here's what I have come to know. You can spend a $1,000 on a rod, reel and line and it will not make you any better at casting or catching than a $200 setup. Currently, the best rod and line that I've found for the $$ is the MaxCatch Saltpro, $88.00, their 8WFF saltwater line, $22.00 and an Okuma Airframe reel <>$50.00. I've fished the Okuma reel for 20 years and caught a alot of hard and fast running fish on it without fail. I will hold 100 yds of 20# backing and 90 feet of flyline. You'll have to order the reel off of eBay out of Europe as they are not available here in the states.
This setup is serving me as well as any I've ever fished and for $150.00 with minimal shipping cost.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
I've fished a local reservoir with a 5 wt for carp - smaller carp aren't an issue but bigger fish and that is way under gunned and I've gone to 8 weights. I have a vintage Sage RPLX 890-3 that's a carp lifter. I also use a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series 890-4; it works very well. I do think any modern reel with a good drag will work for carp and they will test the drag, especially when the water gets warm (70F+). I started out with my Orvis Battenkill disc drag - it works well, so did my Lamson Guru (orig series).

All this fiberglass talk, I don't need another fly rod but man, I just might have to try it. Good luck. Carpin' is a blast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts