Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done one of these in a long time. But no time is the right time. Had to get away from all the females of the house. SO I jumped into my truck and headed for a convenience store for some munchies. Small bags of Potato chips have gone up 20 cents. Bummer as there isn't anymore in the bag.

I headed out to the Beaverhead at Pipe Organ access. The parking lot is almost snow free. A few spots here and there. But there is ice on the edges that goes out about 10' or so. Well I reached in the back of my pick-me-up and got out my 9' Sage DS2 6wt. Found my reel that I got from Allen Fly Fishing. A 5/7 reel. It is loaded with a floating 6wt line. I proceeded to put it all together and rig up two flies. My top fly was a SJW, red in color and a red Copper John as the bottom fly. Of course it took a while to do the two fly thing. My shakes almost got to me but I beat them.

I then walked down to the edge of the ice and tried my first cast in 5 months. Well the ice kept grabbing my leader, had a hell of a time with the first casts. I finally got some line out. Had a few bumps, but not to sure if they were fish or the bottom. I gave up as the ice shelf I was standing on was doing a little cracking. I'll go back there in a few days and maybe most of the ice will be gone.

I took a few pictures of the ice.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Jim - a completely useful report and much appreciated! When we put in there this past May the Beaverhead was muddy and rising (irrigation demand?). Nice to see clear water!

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
I haven't done one of these in a long time. But no time is the right time. Had to get away from all the females of the house. SO I jumped into my truck and headed for a convenience store for some munchies. Small bags of Potato chips have gone up 20 cents. Bummer as there isn't anymore in the bag.

I headed out to the Beaverhead at Pipe Organ access. The parking lot is almost snow free. A few spots here and there. But there is ice on the edges that goes out about 10' or so. Well I reached in the back of my pick-me-up and got out my 9' Sage DS2 6wt. Found my reel that I got from Allen Fly Fishing. A 5/7 reel. It is loaded with a floating 6wt line. I proceeded to put it all together and rig up two flies. My top fly was a SJW, red in color and a red Copper John as the bottom fly. Of course it took a while to do the two fly thing. My shakes almost got to me but I beat them.

I then walked down to the edge of the ice and tried my first cast in 5 months. Well the ice kept grabbing my leader, had a hell of a time with the first casts. I finally got some line out. Had a few bumps, but not to sure if they were fish or the bottom. I gave up as the ice shelf I was standing on was doing a little cracking. I'll go back there in a few days and maybe most of the ice will be gone.

I took a few pictures of the ice.
Remember OMJ every time you fish you feel younger you think about the days that casting across ice was just another day of fishing:rolleyes:

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's 48 so far today. If it hits 50 out come the shorts. I'm tired of long pants.. My ice driveway is almost all mud now. But it's still winter time here in Montana. It could snow at any time.:(:(

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it hit 50 yesterday and today it's 48 so far. But 50 isn't warm enough for shorts. Maybe 60 will have to do.

I went out this morning and put the charger on my ATV. It's been sitting all winter long under the snow. Of course I had it covered. I fired it up and took a shot jaunt around town. When I got home I checked to see if my ears were still attached. I liked to have them fall off it was so cold.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.