Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK , If my goal is to catch a summer run steelhead and my river of choice is the north fork of the Stillaguamish...

What is the timing? (and don't say read the regs)

From what I can deduce from reading, I'm probably wasting my time if I go before july 4...Is that right?

On technique:

I'm planning on swinging a muddler or a bomber on the surface. If I do go deep are weighted flies legal on the north fork?

Should I head strait for Fortson Hole and join the fracus or explore down river from there?

I've got a new rod(Lamiglass 9'-8 weight), new reel (okuma) and a jammed-packed steelhead fly box

Hit me with your steelhead wisdom!

-Piscean:dunno

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
There are fish in the Stilly now.

Personally, I like to swing wets but waking works as well as using traditional dry fly presentations. Some say dry is better then wet. I hate weighted flies so I use sinking tips.

I avoided Fortson for years. I fished it for the first time last year and doubt if I will ever go back. If you don't mind fishing with uneducated bone heads by all means head for Fortson. I caught fish there but, that is not enough to get me to go back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Piscean,
Your river of choice and mine are the same. In the last couple of days below Hazel, I have mannaged to hit two down river fish and have seen bright summer fish. In that, I would say timing is now. I use a lot of various flies on the stilly, but Enos Bradner was the NF Stilly man and so try a Brad's Brat (no. 6)and a sinking tip. You could wait a little while for the "run" if you want. As far as Fortson... I love the hole and so does everyone else. Fortson Zoo did cause me to rethink why I fly fish and Fortson wasn't it. The crowds and attitudes are overwelming, but I sneak in now and then with my wife. If you do go there, most everyone will be throwing a full floating line with a float, and then a jig of a fly attatched. No split shot, but a jig must be o.k., that tail out holds a lot of fish, swing your dries down there late in the day. That part of the hole has absolutely minimal back-cast, but your rod will work there. Some guys go 10' 6/7 weights and then roll cast the float until it gets to the feeding line and wait for the float to twitch under. If you are still wanting to attempt Fortson after reading this, then go in on the mill pond side, so you can fish the hole and wade up.
Best of fishing to you,
><> glen
With all that said about the Stilly... we are heading out now with rods, trailer, no kids for the Skykomish... :thumb

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I would say the dry fly fishing gets better in the late summer and fall. The fish should be spread through the system all summer, no need to fish Fortson. Last Sept, a buddy visiting from NY threw an unweighted bugger into the Hazel hole while I was rigging, and landed a nice buck steelhead. So you just never know...

G

·
Hi everyone
I floated from Fortson down to C-Post last weekend and the water was so clear we could see everything. There were about 6 or 7 fish in Fortson, one down below in the picnic, which I hooked and then he ran up into Fortson and I lost him, but only saw about 10-15 other fish all the way down to C-Post, almost all natives. A few by French Creek, the only Summer runs we saw were in Slider's hole above French Creek. The majority of fish are probably much lower right now. Although I heard of a ton of fish being caught on the Sky, one for every 2-3 rods, including some bright Spring Chinooks, which I love to catch on orange marabou flies.
I heard from a bunch of people at C-Post that 2 guys came in and caught one of two nativesthat were ON THEIR SPAWNING BEDS!!! right under the bridge in full view, using bait on a fly rod, killed the native, and then told everyone else to f-off and left -nothing pisses me off more than that -ap:reallymad

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

It's times like these that if killing were legal you could do it. I also like the N/F but I also like the S/F. Tied into a few in that river also. But you have to almost fish it above Gold Basin Camp Ground,because below it it looks like a clay milk shake And the fishing is usually best in the evening. And yes drys work.

Jim

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I was on the sky all day yesterday...Way to high for me, not to mention all the other people out there also. Went up as far as big eddy and down as low as the town of snohomish...Did not see anyone with fish and everybody I chatted with wasn't even getting into any...so with that in mind good luck...

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.