Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a spare spool for my Abel TR1, and it's an awfully tight fit on my reel. I'm scared to put in on more than 1/2 of the way, seems like it's going to get hopelessly stuck if I force it on. It takes a fair amount of force to rotate the spare spool too, and it doesn't seem like it's going to get any easier with the spool all the way on the reel.

The reel has seen very little use, and my other spool slides off and on with pretty much no effort. I can't image that the reel is bent or anything like that, it works just fine with my other spool It seems like some sort of manufacturing defect with the spare, maybe the hole in the spool wasn't drilled out properly, or something crazy happened with the anodizing process.

Anyone know what might be going on here? There isn't some secret Abel process for breaking in new spools I don't know about or something like that, is there?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just posted in another Abel thread, which reminded me to close out this one.

I contacted Abel, and within a few hours they asked me to send in the reel and spool. They even sent me a prepaid FedEx label via e-mail. They had it back to me again 3 days later. No charge for shipping or the repair.

I guess the issue was slightly thicker anodizing on the new spool, making for an overly tight fit on my reel. I'm not sure what Abel did to fix it, but everything is dialed in now. No complaints about the customer service, they stood behind their product and got me sorted out very quickly.

The TR's have been discontinued, by the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.