Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son in law will be working in Aberdeen for the next two weeks and my daughter and the new baby are going along for the two week stay, he asked me if he could borrow one of my rods and fish in the area when he's there. Now not knowing anything about that area and what or where he could fish has me stumped, so I'm hoping that someone on this site can provide a little info on where he can go in the evenings and during the weekends and most importantly a fly shop in the area where he can get additional info and some local favorite flies. I was thinking of lending him my 8wt or maybe just a 5wt, I'm not really sure. This is where I'm lost as what to look for and prepare for. Obviously he'll need leaders, tippets, general type flies and the like which I have as long as I have an idea on what he should take along and where he can go for additional supplies and info. I'm not asking for specific info or local hot spots, just maybe a few general locations and what species and rod weights he might need so he could fish a little in the time he's there.
Thanks and if I can of help for this side of the state please ask.
Rick

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am a Grays Harbor Alum, 1976 grad, shit I'm getting old! The Wishkah (sp?) used to be fun, Elk River on the way to Westport was also a fun place to fish. You can also fish for cutty's on the way to the coast on Gray's Harbor just hit almost any turnouts along the way

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Have him bring the 8wt. There is lots of opportunities right now. Only problem when the fis hing is hot you will have tons of anglers at bank access holes. Why I boat it most of the time. You have the Chehalis, Humptulips, Satsop, Wynoochee (closed for salmon but can hit summerruns), and tons of other streams out on the coast. You can have him bring the 5wt if he wants to target those egg stealers who follow the salmon in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bring the 8wt. Humptulips has silvers and cutts right now! River was in great shape yesterday and dropping. Lots of boats but if he goes to the Humptulips store he can usually get info for access and reports of the days fishing. They carry a small amount of fly gear. I find if you buy something the info in better! I have had lots of luck with Purple Egg Sucking Leeches and anything with lots of tinsel for silvers! Egg patterns, woolly buggers, and muddlers fishing wet for cutts. Most fun is stimulators fished dry for the cutts. I advise bringing the 8wt simply because you can never tell when a silver might decide it is a cutthroat. He might want to try the upper Quinault. Stunning scenery this time of year. Few if any boats. Lots of access! Usual patterns and the Dollies love woolly buggers! Above the forks is Flys and Lures only and it is so scenic the fishing becomes secondary. Only problem is he might not want to show for work on Monday!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.