Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyones tired of the question about rods and such...but this past weekend, I had the priviledge of casting the new sage xi3 in 8wt and i absolutely loved it...not so much the price tag. I was blasting out 80ft+ with no effort! lots of fun to cast.

Now that I'm looking at some 8wt's a little more seriously, the Echo2 is another one that I enjoyed casting, along with the TFO ticr.

My question is this...I recently spoke with another member on here who has a FLi in 8wt and was wondering how is the action on these rods? I haven't casted any lower end Sage rods and I'm looking for something a bit faster and stiff without losing too much feel.

If anyone has any experience casting the FLi 8wt 9ft, how does it compare to some of the higher end Sage stuff like z-axis, xi2/xi3?

Also, anyone have experience with the Gloomis non-GLX Cross Current? I've casted the GLX Cross Current and that thing can launch a line like a canon...but wondering how the Cross Current compares?

I know i know, i should go and cast it myself but not sure where they have them available at this point...

Thanks in advance everyone :)

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
I for one don't try casting something I can't afford. So I stick with what is in my price range and go with that. That is why my summer rod is a TFO 3 wt Finesse rod and my winter nymph rod is a TFO Profressional 5 wt. Both 4 piece. And both in My price range.

When you get older and poorer, you stick with things you can afford. Besides the rivers that I fish I can almost piss across.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
I had a 6 wt FLi and in my hands it was a fast action rod/tip flex, contrary to Mills' experience. Compared to my 6 wt Z-Axis: The tip is more sensitive on the Z, and the Z is lighter in the hand. But the FLi is a great stick for the money in my opinion. These are 6 wts, mind you, and 8 wts may feel different. I'd highly recommend an XP 896 but good luck finding one. I looked long and hard and ended up with an XP 8100 as a nymphing rod. Haven't had the occasion to use it yet.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I for one don't try casting something I can't afford. So I stick with what is in my price range and go with that. That is why my summer rod is a TFO 3 wt Finesse rod and my winter nymph rod is a TFO Profressional 5 wt. Both 4 piece. And both in My price range.

When you get older and poorer, you stick with things you can afford. Besides the rivers that I fish I can almost piss across.
you got a point there old man. not sure what came upon me to cast the damn sage but i will never be the same again. now im on my journey to find the closest performance for the lowest price. i think i'm coming close to narrowing down to a few though. now i just gotta find them in stores and cast them.

·
Long Drift Trouter
112 Posts
I have the 890-4 FLi - it's definitely a fast rod (but not ultrafast). I can compare to the XP (FLi has a slightly slower action) and Xi2 - very similar feel casting, but a bit heavier and a touch faster. The Xi2 feels like it has a ton more reserve in the butt, though. I've never noticed a problem with feeling bumps through the tip. If you can find one, grab it.

As far as casting what I can't afford - I love it. It's an eye opener to cast the $600 rods next to, say, a TFO Pro or quality budget rod. Sure, I can *usually* tell the difference, but it usually comes down to weight, lately. Definitely reinforces my preference for lower-tier rods.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 890-4 FLi - it's definitely a fast rod (but not ultrafast). I can compare to the XP (FLi has a slightly slower action) and Xi2 - very similar feel casting, but a bit heavier and a touch faster. The Xi2 feels like it has a ton more reserve in the butt, though. I've never noticed a problem with feeling bumps through the tip. If you can find one, grab it.

As far as casting what I can't afford - I love it. It's an eye opener to cast the $600 rods next to, say, a TFO Pro or quality budget rod. Sure, I can *usually* tell the difference, but it usually comes down to weight, lately. Definitely reinforces my preference for lower-tier rods.
very good to know. I definitely like the xi3 and if its any indication of how the xi2 was, consider me a fan...but even at clearance price, I'd still like to find something a bit cheaper with great performance. I'll be putting a bit more into the drag system so cutting down on the rod makes sense to me.

Until yesterday, I have to say, I wasn't quite convinced on high end rods. Sure I've read rave reviews but I always wonderered, could it really make a difference? The XI3 definitely casts much better than the lower end rods I've casted before. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What kind of line were you using with that Xi3? The Xi series and the Loomis CCs (at least the GLXs -- I've never thrown a 3pc CC) are saltwater rods designed to throw big shooting head lines. I have a Loomis 6wt that I use off the beach with a 40+ or an Outbound that are 2+ weights heavier than a comparable 6wt trout line. These rods are different animals from what you'd expect from a freshwater rod, even a steelheading 8wt. While I've never cast an FLi, I can't imagine there'd be any similarity between a CC and an FLi.

I've got a 7wt Echo 2 saltwater rod. Even with the 'D' tip, it's not nearly as fast as the CC. It actually casts well with an AFTMA 7 or 8wt line. An AirFlo 40+ would probably fold it in half. I think an 8wt E2 would make an excellent steelhead rod. But, if you like the feel of those Sage and Loomis saltwater rods, you might give the TFO TiCrX a try. I had one of those in a 7wt for a while. I didn't like it much, but I don't think I ever set it up and fished it like it was designed. If you put a big shooting head on it, it should load up real nicely and give you that big distance you're looking for.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of line were you using with that Xi3? The Xi series and the Loomis CCs (at least the GLXs -- I've never thrown a 3pc CC) are saltwater rods designed to throw big shooting head lines. I have a Loomis 6wt that I use off the beach with a 40+ or an Outbound that are 2+ weights heavier than a comparable 6wt trout line. These rods are different animals from what you'd expect from a freshwater rod, even a steelheading 8wt.

I've got a 7wt Echo 2 saltwater rod. Even with the 'D' tip, it's not nearly as fast as the CC. It actually casts well with an AFTMA 7 or 8wt line. An AirFlo 40+ would probably fold it in half. I think an 8wt E2 would make an excellent steelhead rod. But, if you like the feel of those Sage and Loomis saltwater rods, you might give the TFO TiCrX a try. I had one of those in a 7wt for a while. I didn't like it much, but I don't think I ever set it up and fished it like it was designed. If you put a big shooting head on it, it should load up real nicely and give you that big distance you're looking for.
i THINK the xi3 was lined with SA Steelhead line which I've used prior on my 6wt until I replaced with Rio Gold (which i love now).

I'm leaning heavily towards the Echo 2 in 8wt. From all the reviews I've read and from talking to several people, looks like its right up my alley in action and feel and the price is especially nice. I'm in no hurry so I'll be taking my time testing out different rods.

Good news is...i pulled the trigger and I finally got a Galvan T-8 :) Love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.