Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Patrick and I’m an avid Yakima river user. The river corridor is important to the way of life for many people. It is vital to the agricultural industry, but is also important to fisherman, rafters, kayakers, paddleboarders, canoeists, tubers, bird watchers or anyone who just enjoys watching the water flow by.

At the present time, motorized watercraft are prohibited in the Lower Yakima Canyon downriver of the railroad bridge as you enter the Canyon. However, motorized watercraft are legal upriver from that point on. I and others have witnessed a disturbing increase of jet boat activity. This is not only a safety concern, but it also threatens the relative solitude and overall outdoor experience that we all enjoy.

We also have reports of jet boats running over spawning redds. Jet boats can run in very shallow water which makes this potentially quite problematic for salmon restoration efforts and the trout population.

In 2018, Kittitas County created the Yakima River Public Access Plan. This plan researched user activity along with present and potential access points along the river corridor. At that time the county estimated a 200% increase in river activities within the next ten years. The county themselves recognize that jet boat activity is dangerous as stated in the 2018 report on page 49: “Jet boats can create hazardous conditions for other smaller watercraft on the river given the jet boat’s speed and the wake the boats create that can swamp other watercraft”.

Myself and other like-minded river users are hoping to mobilize other river users, concerned citizens, and organizations that feel the same way we do… that this activity is not appropriate for our river system. Just a few people could ruin the river experience that hundreds enjoy.

To be quite honest, jetboating it looks be a blast! Screaming up a small river at high rates of speed, weaving around blind bends, islands and dodging log jams, but unfortunately that also means wade fisherman, drift boats, rafts, paddle boards and inner tubes.

We are forming a coalition in order to convince the Kittitas County commissioners to change the code and ban motorized watercraft from the Yakima headwaters down to the Rosa access point. We are hopeful that a variety and large number of voices in favor of this change will succeed in convincing the County commissioners to act. If you know of, or are involved in any organizations that are like minded, please forward contact information to: [email protected]

The coalition believes now is the time to act and to be proactive instead of waiting until someone is seriously injured. If you’ve never experienced a jetboat on the Yakima river, watch the attached video.

If you agree with us, please take the time to sign this online petition Sign the Petition and forward this email to any like-minded individuals.

Thank you for your time

Yakima River Coalition look

·
Registered
81 Posts
We could really use something like this on the N Fork CDA. Seems like those smaller inboard jet boats are running higher and higher up the river each year.

Like you mentioned, it looks like fun, but those boats on these little rivers has me concerned about safety and it really ruins the character of the river.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The quiet places left are few, I hope this passes. In my experience what is even worse, you will see the same Jet Boats
blast up and down the river multiple times. 3 jet boats have the impact of 9.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My name is Patrick and I’m an avid Yakima river user. The river corridor is important to the way of life for many people. It is vital to the agricultural industry, but is also important to fisherman, rafters, kayakers, paddleboarders, canoeists, tubers, bird watchers or anyone who just enjoys watching the water flow by.

At the present time, motorized watercraft are prohibited in the Lower Yakima Canyon downriver of the railroad bridge as you enter the Canyon. However, motorized watercraft are legal upriver from that point on. I and others have witnessed a disturbing increase of jet boat activity. This is not only a safety concern, but it also threatens the relative solitude and overall outdoor experience that we all enjoy.

We also have reports of jet boats running over spawning redds. Jet boats can run in very shallow water which makes this potentially quite problematic for salmon restoration efforts and the trout population.

In 2018, Kittitas County created the Yakima River Public Access Plan. This plan researched user activity along with present and potential access points along the river corridor. At that time the county estimated a 200% increase in river activities within the next ten years. The county themselves recognize that jet boat activity is dangerous as stated in the 2018 report on page 49: “Jet boats can create hazardous conditions for other smaller watercraft on the river given the jet boat’s speed and the wake the boats create that can swamp other watercraft”.

Myself and other like-minded river users are hoping to mobilize other river users, concerned citizens, and organizations that feel the same way we do… that this activity is not appropriate for our river system. Just a few people could ruin the river experience that hundreds enjoy.

To be quite honest, jetboating it looks be a blast! Screaming up a small river at high rates of speed, weaving around blind bends, islands and dodging log jams, but unfortunately that also means wade fisherman, drift boats, rafts, paddle boards and inner tubes.

We are forming a coalition in order to convince the Kittitas County commissioners to change the code and ban motorized watercraft from the Yakima headwaters down to the Rosa access point. We are hopeful that a variety and large number of voices in favor of this change will succeed in convincing the County commissioners to act. If you know of, or are involved in any organizations that are like minded, please forward contact information to: [email protected]

The coalition believes now is the time to act and to be proactive instead of waiting until someone is seriously injured. If you’ve never experienced a jetboat on the Yakima river, watch the attached video.

If you agree with us, please take the time to sign this online petition Sign the Petition and forward this email to any like-minded individuals.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this real? I have never seen jet boats in that section. I don’t want to give my credit card number unless this is a real thing
I am sure if there are it is very few and far between. And I can't find Yakima River Coalition any where but here. And nothing on this Patrick person either. I am also sure that the Boat they pictured on their Petition has never seen any parts of the Yakima river he is looking to ban them on. I wonder why they didn't use a small sled for their picture???? Maybe because they didn't find one with a FJB Flag on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure if there are it is very few and far between. And I can't find Yakima River Coalition any where but here. And nothing on this Patrick person either. I am also sure that the Boat they pictured on their Petition has never seen any parts of the Yakima river he is looking to ban them on. I wonder why they didn't use a small sled for their picture???? Maybe because they didn't find one with a FJB Flag on it.
It's a real thing. If you like I can send you the video which was shot in the Cle Elum section. The coalition is just getting started and I'm working on getting people on board. As I mentioned we are seeing a marked increase and once word gets out that it's a legal activity, many of us feel like this could explode. We are attempting to be proactive and avoid that from happening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's a real thing. If you like I can send you the video which was shot in the Cle Elum section. The coalition is just getting started and I'm working on getting people on board. As I mentioned we are seeing a marked increase and once word gets out that it's a legal activity, many of us feel like this could explode. We are attempting to be proactive and avoid that from happening.
Luckily, Im situated near the Thorp Diversion Dam which jet boats cannot cross. There should be no powered boats allowed anywhere except possibly Roza recreational area in my view. Especially those flying fascist flags.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luckily, Im situated near the Thorp Diversion Dam which jet boats cannot cross. There should be no powered boats allowed anywhere except possibly Roza recreational area in my view. Especially those flying fascist flags.
I'm pretty close to you then. My place sits on the bluff over Hwy 10 about 1/4 mile up river from HWY 10 takeout.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"lordoflys said:
Luckily, Im situated near the Thorp Diversion Dam which jet boats cannot cross. There should be no powered boats allowed anywhere except possibly Roza recreational area in my view. Especially those flying fascist flags."

You from Seattle??
I've worked supporting the US military for 38 years living overseas now retired. But I'm from Thorp and own a house there. Heading back there in a week.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thank you for your time

Wow!!! Those Jet Boats really do some damage!!!!!! So Patrick do you have any other interactions with Jet Boats other than your Edited probably staged event???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow!!! Those Jet Boats really do some damage!!!!!! So Patrick do you have any other interactions with Jet Boats other than your Edited probably staged event???
Staged event?? What jet boater in there right mind would do that? That video was shot by a guide in the Cle Elum area. I had a negative encounter last summer. A very reputable guide out of Cle Elum told me that back in the "old days" he'd have one every once in a while.. and for the most part they were very respectful. Now he says he's encountering them 3 times a week. And as he put it "this new crop could care less". He (as I do) fell like this could explode. That is what we are trying to avoid.

Another guide from Eburg recounted an event from last year where he observed a boat doing donuts around rafters, and in general just pissing everyone off. When he got to the takeout where the jet boaters rig was, it had 4 flat tires and smashed windows.

I don't think anyone who uses this river on a regular basis wants that kind of confrontation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Staged event?? What jet boater in there right mind would do that? That video was shot by a guide in the Cle Elum area. I had a negative encounter last summer. A very reputable guide out of Cle Elum told me that back in the "old days" he'd have one every once in a while.. and for the most part they were very respectful. Now he says he's encountering them 3 times a week. And as he put it "this new crop could care less". He (as I do) fell like this could explode. That is what we are trying to avoid.

Another guide from Eburg recounted an event from last year where he observed a boat doing donuts around rafters, and in general just pissing everyone off. When he got to the takeout where the jet boaters rig was, it had 4 flat tires and smashed windows.

I don't think anyone who uses this river on a regular basis wants that kind of confrontation.
So you want to kick a whole user group off the river because of what? You had an encounter last Summer. Another Guide says he sees 3 power boats a week? And one more obviously making an ass out of himself if this is the truth a year ago. You also might make it clear where these events happened. There is a lot of river between the Railroad Bridge and the upriver diversion dam. And even more river above that. You already have from the Bridge all the way down to Roza. One guy even questioned whether he thought they should have that. You guy's are a very selfish bunch. I also notice all your information is from Guides who obviously have a dog in the fight making money off a resource that belongs to all. How long did your guide buddy have to wait for that Jet Boat in his video to come back? I am betting it was a while however far up or down the river he went. And I bet it was also not multiple passes! There is also a lot of water in the river in the Video and no other Boats in any of the views. When was this taken and where is the raw footage?? And you are not just Patrick a river user you are Patrick the Fishing Guide.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thank you for your time

It seems that this has made it to some other Forums. I found this on one of them. You guy's have a much larger environmental impact on our river resources than any Jet Boat is ever going to have. And below is only talking about your direct impact on the fish themselves. Let alone your detrimental impact to the environment they exist in. See Below:

"It appears that you are a fisherman. This means you like to drag fish around with a hook stuck in their face. Then, if it is catch-and-release, you toss them back in the water and all of their pain and suffering serves no purpose other than to cause you pleasure. I'll support your petition if you add a request that all fishing be banned on this stretch of river, and that if the commissioners reject any part of the petition, then the entire petition is null. Simply put, fishing is needless cruelty to animals, but for some reason, our society conflates it with Beethoven's 6th."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I broke it for good. At this point the "movement" is dead. When I speak to people and organizations privately they are all in. Usually it's something like "it's not appropriate for this river, sooner or later someones going to get killed". However when they need to put their name on it it's goes dark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@YakimaRiverCoalition,

I have driven up and down the Yakima a few times but have never fished it.

What is the sub-lethal damage to trout from angling like on the Yakima? Expressed otherwise: how many fish look like pin cushions, are missing maxillary and come in like wet paper bags?

Sleds are fun for the first couple of rides and then they are an incredibly expensive, uber -noisy way of accessing water. I do not like the noise. But then I have worked heavy industry and have worked several seasons with a chain saw in the bush (cutting pulp wood for CIP, bucking off a landing in SE BC, slashing seismic line in SE BC and SW Alberta.

My buddies who own sleds and use them all the time are all in pretty awful physical health. Not to worry as God has provided us all with a cornucopia of opioids to make the golden years more comfortable.

Banning sleds will not reduce the overall angling pressure on a popular, easily accessible river but it will improve the quality of the experience somewhat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts