Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's OK. Better than other head with intermediate running line combos if you get the 150ft version but nothing compared to stupid deep T7 :)

I'd probably take the Type 7 sixth sense in 8/9 weight over the depthfinder.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been looking for a fly line to provide more "vertical" presentation in the salt at depths of 30+ feet (for salmon). Both the Depthfinder and the Type 7 sixth sense have FLOATING running lines...not sure this really matters with a 30+ feet of tungsten sink tip though.

I noticed that Hatch has a fly line (manufactured by Airflo) that has a big sink tip with an Intermediate running line so I'm considering that since it would probably be better for "vertical" presentations? Not sure.

https://www.hatchoutdoors.com/catalog/300-grain-all-water-sinking-line/

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've been looking for a fly line to provide more "vertical" presentation in the salt at depths of 30+ feet (for salmon). Both the Depthfinder and the Type 7 sixth sense have FLOATING running lines...not sure this really matters with a 30+ feet of tungsten sink tip though.

I noticed that Hatch has a fly line (manufactured by Airflo) that has a big sink tip with an Intermediate running line so I'm considering that since it would probably be better for "vertical" presentations? Not sure.

It all matters. Why have a sinking head and slow it up with a floating or even intermediate running line? Most of the line in the water is running line so its density is critical. If you really want to get deep, spool up with 150ft of T7 for your running line and some 850gr Deep Water Express for a head. Can't really cast it but you can mend it down 90ft or more.. :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

It all matters. Why have a sinking head and slow it up with a floating or even intermediate running line? Most of the line in the water is running line so its density is critical. If you really want to get deep, spool up with 150ft of T7 for your running line and some 850gr Deep Water Express for a head. Can't really cast it but you can mend it down 90ft or more.. :)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Running line matters. Even on my home-made stupid deep line which has caught fish at 70' (a stupid rockfish ate the fly before it got to the lings at 90'). The running line is simply 100# gel-spun coated with Plasti-Dip, so essentially it's an intermediate. So far I've only had one shot with it for tuna on a very brief bait stop with a high drift rate. The 800-ish grain head and back taper got down just fine but only took about 80' of line under before the running line was just trailing on the surface. Even with 200+ feet of line out. My next line will have at least a T2 rating on the running portion just to break the surface if nothing else. What I think would work best is a graduated T-rating on the running line biased heavier towards the head. Gonna try 50' of T8 behind the head, then decrease it to 50' of T6, 50' of T4 and finally 50'of T2 to the backing. Not sure yet if I'll back off on the head weight, since I don't want to sacrifice casting capability. The original line actually casts pretty well, so I think it's possible to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd like to have a line I can at least pretend is a flyline (castable). Also, I guess I wasn't hoping to reach 70+ feet, but rather 30-50 feet, but SilverFly's recommendations are certainly the ticket to reach deep.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
I'd like to have a line I can at least pretend is a flyline (castable). Also, I guess I wasn't hoping to reach 70+ feet, but rather 30-50 feet, but SilverFly's recommendations are certainly the ticket to reach deep.
The type 7 40+ would do ok for that. Or the depth finder. Best bet is a section of T-whatever (match your ideal grain weight with 20-30 ft of head) then a thin running line. That setup will be castable and good for 30-45ish feet pretty easy.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'd be surprised how well a head of T14 with a thin intermediate running line casts.

As much as I love Airflo lines I've come to the conclusion that this type of line setup just can't be beat for that type of fishing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.