Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it in the archives, but I seem to recall that there was a discussion about this line some time ago.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has one and has used it to some degree of success or not. I am not certain that Airflo is even still marketing it today.
I need to replace an old line on one of my reels and thinking that it might
fit the missing link. Wondering how it stacks up against Rio Gold or even
Scientific Angler's offering. Any comments appreciated.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
The 40+ is really an integrated shooting head line.
Comparing it to a Rio Gold is an apples to oranges comparison.

I used the old ones and have one each of the new version, which they still sell.
Like the floater, hate the intermediate but only for the line colors. It is an excellent line to fish as far as casting goes.
SF

Reactions: shotgunner

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Do the colors have an impact on their fishability or is it aesthetics? Reason I ask is I've always wondered if a clear line was better than a yellow one or is a dark tip better than a straw colored tip. I have a lot of colors in my set ups

·
14,857 Posts
Jamie,
It is just a confidence thing with me.
They replaced the old fast intermediate version (clear head / yellow running line) with one that that had an opaque green head and a orange running line. I can deal with the orange running line but hate the green head. Just a weird color combo if you ask me for a intermediate line.
I caught fish on it, but never had much confidence in it. Much prefer the clear head. If I couldn't have a line with a clear head, a line with a dark head would be my second choice.
Funny how intermediate lines with clear heads disappeared from the market and now both Rio (Coastal Quickshooter) and Airflo have recently reintroduced lines with them.

A better option in my opinion would be the new Airflo Beach line (clear head) if folks don't mind a intermediate head line with a floating running line then the current 40+.
SF

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 40+ lines. There are two.. the standard 'Extreme' with 35' head and the 'Expert' which has 44' head.

Just spooled up a fresh 5wt Extreme yesterday. Great crossover lines for single hand spey or overhead casts. Handle a Trout Poly well or straight mono. Cat's meow for swinging wets.

New versions have much improved gradual smooth junction from (Ridge) running line to head and nice factory loop up front. Something the earlier ones lacked.

Thought recently I read somewhere that Airflo was bringing back the clear intermediate?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Thanks SF. I've always liked the clear lines and wondered why the floaters weren't clear as well. I just picked up a Rio intermediate tip that is a sapphire type color. Performs great but it is blue. With all of the head colors, tip colors, and running lines available (including colored mono) a guy could get quite a colorful set up.

·
14,857 Posts
Jamie,
The older 40+ intermediates had a clear head and a yellow running line.
There was about a 2" black sleeve on the line where the head and the running line where joined.
Never had an Airflo get sticky, but had a Rio do so.

I agree, lots of different line color combos out there. A person just needs to fish with what works for them and they have confidence in.
SF

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for you replies guys. Some good stuff here.
The line I am thinking of replacing is a old shooting
head on a running line. Both are just plain flat out worn out.

I have two identical reels and I just put a 8 wt. Rio Gold on one and yet to fish it. I was wondering if the +40 would fill the gap
made by the shooting head.

Got something to play with here. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.