Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love some help in pointing me toward some walk-n-wade opportunities on the Kenai peninsula!

I'll be in Anchorage the next few days with the opportunity to fish Monday/Tuesday. Obviously I'm interested in wrasslin' some fishes. My understanding is the opportunities will be pink and sockeye salmon, and rainbow trout (too early for coho, mostly too late for king).

Guided floats are out, so I'd be hugely appreciative if anyone wants to toss out (maybe via PM) some road- and/or hike-accessible water where I could throw some casts. It's going to be day-trip(s) status in any case, but I would definitely pay extra gas and calories to beat the crowds.

At this point the plan is to cruise into a campground on Quartz Creek outside Cooper Landing. This is fishy, yes?

Big thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear you had success; when were you there? The small stream shots look like Quartz Creek? What species did you get into?
Yep, Quartz Creek. This was the first few days of August. We had mostly dolly varden but also a rainbow or two. They were taking the pale-peach colored beads with or without a little white coloring for the milt, but would not take any fuchsia or magenta at all. It was a real match the hatch situation. Oh, and one nice dolly took a swung flesh fly.

Also LDR'd that sockeye on the Kenai but I don't understand the notion of fly fishing for a vegetarian fish anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.