Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with the Albright GP series? I was ordering up a new reel and spool for myself and was a few bucks short to get free shipping and noticed that their rods are deeply discounted. My friend needs a streamer rod and the GP's are $45-49 each. He was looking at either the 9'6" 7/8 or 9' 8/9. Any advice on which way to swing? Sink-tips, coneheads and articulated flies will be the name of the game for the rod. I use a 9' 8wt for my streamer fishing and have never cast an albright so I don't have much advice to give him. Not sure if the extra 6" is a good thing on the 7/8 and not sure if the 8/9 will be a bit much.

Josh

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Don't know about the heavier rods, but I have the 8' 5/6. To me it fishes like a 5/6 should, it's light and crisp, a nice enough finish. Good stuff, well worth the $50 (why are they so cheap?) I paid last year.

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
My understaning is that Albright is online only and doesn't sell in shops anymore. I have one and frankly it think it casts as well as my Sage. Probably because the owners are ex Sage folks. I did break my tip and sent it back and was fixed (just like Sage) no questions asked. in fact they just sent a brand new rod instead of replacing the tip section. The two biggest reasons, I think, for the low price is 1) on line only and 2) asian manufactured. If you want a good, inexpensive rod that will catch as many fish as one 10 times the price, I don't think you could go wrong for the price.

·
Confrimed Reprobate
275 Posts
I don't have the GP series but I do have a couple of their super fast XX series that are cannons. 8 and 9 wt and they both handle the lead core, T14, and other shooting heads like they were made for them. Fish 30# on them so far with no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.