Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine for a horrible moment that God (aetheists bear with me) got tired of us arguing about ethics, etc. and took all the fish back. They're gone, every last one of them.

Now what the hell are we going to do?

This is really a comical way to ask, "when you're not fishing, what do you do"? Me, I do woodworking, I love making sawdust. From dropping trees to putting on the finish. I do it all. I just wish I had the stones to leave the Lazy B and do it for a living.

How about the rest of you?

Roper

·
Registered
515 Posts
No fish? I tried to imagine your hypothetical fishless world, but it was so painful, I had to stop.

But in ADDITION to fishing, I like to play with my kids, ski, golf, read, and garden a little. I wish I could add something like woodworking to that list, but that would require skill -- something I've never possessed.

db

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

You work at the lazy "B". No wonder your the way you are. I retired from there three years ago after 38 years and look at me I'm nuts too.

If I wasn't fishing I would be taking long drives just as long as I didn't have any high bridges to cross.

Jim

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I have 2 main hobbies that I will take to my grave. Fishing and Guitar, not in any particular order.
If there were no fishing for fish, I still would be fishing for The other fish and still continue my passion of playing electric and newly accquired acoustic guitar. No probs here...

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
NO, STOP !!!!! YOUR HEARTING MY EYES READING THAT !!!! YOU MEAN, (GLUP) IF THAT WAS TO HAPPEN, I'D HAVE TO START PAYING ATTENTION TO MY... (GULP)... WIFE ?????????

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
HEARTING ??? WHERE DID I COME UP WITH THAT ONE ????... SEE WHAT JUST THE THOUGHT OF THAT CAN DO TO ME... ACTUALLY, IT THAT WAS TO HAPPEN, I WOULD FALL BACK ON MY REGULAR STUFF... INVENTORY CONTROL FOR A WHOLESALE BUILDING MATERIAL DISTRIBUTOR, AND A HIGH SCHOOL VARSITY BASEBALL COACH.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
In a less comical answer to the original question; just ask this of those of us who watched the wild atlantic salmon get wiped out in the northeaast U.S. Most of the boats and nets got bought up for lobstering and for netting shad, striped bass etc.( and the stripers got almost extincted too).
After the fish were gone from most of the rivers, and in some places have not returned in over a decade, allot of us went off and tried to forget it all. The striped bass fishery enjoys a huge recreational pressure today, maybe too much, and is still fished commercially in many places. For a long time it was illegal to fish for them at all- but it didn't matter since they were all gone anyway. Those fish are full of mercury, myrex, pcb's, lead, cadmium,ddt, chlordane, etc,; and people still sell them and eat them too excess.
What would I do? Well I went upland to the mountains and fly fished for the remaining little wild brook trout of new england, the remnant of a once huge population of sometimes big fish, now reduced to miniscule fish in miniscule waters. I fished for the stocked fish of the adirondack and catskill mountains. It was only after nearly a decade of severe protections and enforcements that we could once again find and fish for striped bass.
Last fall I stood in the dusk light with friends back in Connecticut and we reminisced about the 20-30 pound striped bass and bluefish, the huge flounder and weakfish, the blackfish by the barrelful, boatloads of cod- and now we all are catch and release fly anglers. That was a hard lesson to learn in my lifetime.
Out here I see the same hubris that drove our eastern united states fishery to near disappearance; "Oh, that can never happen here... we have science on our side."The sad truth is we have simple math against us; if we keep on killing the wild fish all we will have is hatchery mutants and we will be stuck with them, utterly dependant on them- and always at risk of losing them. We can talk about all the factors that we can't control,and keep on harvesting needlessly,( does anyone really need to kill wild fish?), or we can accept responsibility for what we can control and let the fish swim upriver and spawn and die.
It's greatly about biomass. There's not enough fish in the rivers and they arent spawning and dying enmass- as they should be and did for millions of years of evolution. So the nutrient base is deficient here now.Of course there are other factors too; sea conditions, forage, netting, natural disease and die off, and habitat loss through development and pollution.Recent studies and ongoing research prove that we on the pacific coast are getting tremendous pollution via air currents from asian manufacturing and burning, industries etc. Surely this is having a damaging effect on water quality in the mountains that feed our rivers and on the fish within those systems.All of which points to the need for more conservative harvest and greater efforts toward preservation of what is left.
One hope I have for the Elwah restoration project, the dam removal and subsequent effort to restore the anadromous fishery there, is that they will allow the river system to restore without fishing the hell out of it. perhaps not at all for some time.I just don't know if they have the courage to sanctuary the river long enough- but that's what it might take.From someone who watched the fish disappear back east, and very quickly indeed- it can happen here and there are many indications that it is already steeply in decline.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
That previous post was very well written - makes ya think!

If the fish were gone, I guess I'd hit the competitve archery scene again and go win some tournaments. Probably snowboard a little more, probably take up guitar again. If all else fails, there is always Good Cold Henry Weinhards!!

Hey wait a minute - here is a challenge that would carry over for millions of years - we could all try to figure out women?? That'll Never Happen!!! :LOVEIT :DUNNO

Tight Lines! J

G

·
Do more woodwork and get really serious about astronomy. Trout love dark sky locations and although I often take my scope along, I usually fish so hard that I can't stay up late and run the scope. But no fish? Man, that would be like living in So. California where all the rivers have motorcycle tracks in them instead of water! The odds are that despite the billions of galaxys in the known universe and the countless planets in those galaxys not one rainbow trout exist anywhere else in creation. What a precious little planet we live on! Ive

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think that some of you people are forgetting where we came from, don't you remember all the countless hours we spent learning to cast in our yards as children, sitting around the house playing with our fishing gear when we could'nt find anyone to take us out when we were too young to drive, learning what you could do with a pile of feathers, some yarn, and a hook. I spent countless hours as a child preparing myself for becoming who I am today, and that was all before I had ever caught a fish myself. I remember time and time again of spending days on the rivers, lakes, and in bays with a line in the water, not to catch a single fish, but I still have those days as some of my fondest memories. There was a time in the progression of my life when it was all about the numbers, but not in the beginning, and not anymore. Today most all of us C-R 95% of the time, keeping only a few fish per year, if any so do we really have to have fish in the water to fish?. For me it does'nt matter if I get skunked, I'll even lie about it at times, that way Im not expected to bring anything home with me. Personally, if all the fish were gone, not if fishing did'nt exist, but if all the fish were gone, I'd hope to continue to fish and allow myself to obtain the same amount of peace and serinity that I get today while fishing. I know that it would be hard at times, but to reflect on my most memorable days on the water, It is not the catching that made the day memorable, it was the fishing. The time that I spend on the water with friends, family, and alone, is sometimes the only time that I feel at peace in this world. The wonders of our natural surroundings, and all the places that seem that have hidden from developement are the places that I will/would miss if they dissapear, the fish are a bonus! My answer to the question is that I would continue on as I do today, and try to always remember that Steelhead were a myth to me for along time and I still tried, I guess with faith, I feel that it would continue to be the surroundings and the peace that fishing brings me would keep me on the water, even if there was nothing to catch. :COOK

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

This is closer to the truth than you know. They have closed down most of the rivers on the OP because of low water conditions and I just read on another site the NF of the Calawah has dried up and the fish are dying.. This should give you something to think about.

Jim

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm too old to SCUBA dive in Puget Sound anymore but the South Pacific still sounds good. 85 degree, gin-clear saltwater is the greatest! All that is delayed until my stock portfolio improves!

Then there's grandkids, old cars, motorcycles and golf.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
What is shocking about your question is the suggestion that there might be a world in which all fish are extinct, and what would we do.
Leaving the what would we do aside (for me, it's woodworking, orchid growing, writing, my studies in the French language, drawing, welding, chiseling,etc.), your major thrust is that there is no fish.

I am writing elsewhere in these posts (see the Salmon Killers)which is about commercial salmon fishermen and how they view the resourse.
If you read it, you will be sickened by some of the things that happened to me and around me during those twelve years I earned part of my living going down to the sea and killing salmon.

I remember an often told comment which made me shudder and a chill go down my spine. It was, "If it comes down to where all the salmon are gone and there is only one salmon left, I just hope I'm the lucky bastard who hooks him." How can you say shit like that? And so I decided to write about them from my experience as one of them in order to shed some light on commercial fishing. It was and still is a big player in this game called fishing. :DUNNO It will be a good read. :THUMBSUP

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
I thought all the fish are gone. I haven't found any lately.

If all the fish were gone, I'd be out of a job too, not just a avocation. I'd just have to give up and let the irrigators, the loggers, and the dams have it all. Go back to surfing for a
living.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.