Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cheapo redingtons probably won't survive the season. I am wondering what you guys have strapped to your feet. I am looking to spend less than 200. The Korkers Dark horse boots and Simms Vapors are at the top of the list.

Y'all have any suggestions?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Been using the Simms Freestone for the past 6 months or so and they have been great. It was my first Simms boot purchase and won't be my last. I wasn't sure at first as they were pretty stiff out of the box. After a month or so they broke in and they are very comfortable with great support.

·
Still Fishing
50 Posts
I have been using the Simms Vapor (felt) since their release. It sees a lot of hiking and wading in the backcountry. It is a tough and lightweight boot for a lot of walking, hiking and wading.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I would check out the Simms Freestone for a solid pair of wading boots that do not break the bank. I bought a pair a while back now - forget the year (2009 or 2010 maybe) and used them hard for YEARS. Basically every weekend while living in Colorado including multiple hike in Cheesman Canyon trips (while wearing the boots), in the winter, summer, etc. when I moved to Seattle in 2013 I wore them in the salt all the way until last year when I "replaced" them with a pair of Patagonia boots I got a great deal on. These Freestones are still my backups. Outside of a couple of pairs of new laces, they have held up incredibly well. Don't get me wrong, they look like sh*t but still very serviceable.

I am not a Simms fanboy. In fact, I am not actively using any of their products at the moment. However, when I need to replace the boots I have now I'll probably go back to Simms. In the end, I am not sure of the quality of the Freestones they are producing these days but if similar to what they turned out 6 or 7 years ago, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
G3s are the longest-lasting boot out there. They're not the most comfortable (a bit stiffer than I like for wading), but that's where the durability comes from, so it's a good tradeoff. After G3s, my longest-lasting pair was Simms Freestones, but they only lasted a couple seasons.

Seems to me that silt is what eventually does in any boot round these parts, and it usually shortens their life considerably. Our rivers are full of it, and it's some pretty rough stuff.

Wading is the expense I dread most in fishing. I figure keeping myself dry and on good footing costs me about $200 a year, on average. It's probably more than that.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,757 Posts
I'm back on the Simms bandwagon after my second pair of Korkers blew up on me (only reason they're the second is because the first was replaced via warranty--not even worth it to me to replace them. It's like taking a load to the dump and bringing a load from the dump back home). I picked up a pair of Freestones and love them. They do require a little bit of break-in period, but it's totally worth it for me to have decent long lasting boots that are comfortable, have great ankle support and don't have the Korkers logo on them.

I've also used Patagonias in the past and while I loved the fit and feel, they just didn't last very long. The Korkers idea is great, but c'mon, make some better boots, guys....the technology is out there.

·
Wishin I was Fishin
249 Posts
My cheapo redingtons probably won't survive the season. I am wondering what you guys have strapped to your feet. I am looking to spend less than 200. The Korkers Dark horse boots and Simms Vapors are at the top of the list.

Y'all have any suggestions?
Just picked up a pair of Korker's Devils Canyon boots and love them so far, super light and comfortable. Dark Horse seem to be about the same.

·
BigDog
3,554 Posts
I've been through 2 seasons on my Simms Vapors and I like them a lot. I was specifically looking for a fairly light pair of boots for wet-wading, including significant hiking to get to spots at times, but still with sufficient support and protection. I have been very happy with them. I am considering getting a second pair big enough to wear over waders.
D

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been through 2 seasons on my Simms Vapors and I like them a lot. I was specifically looking for a fairly light pair of boots for wet-wading, including significant hiking to get to spots at times, but still with sufficient support and protection. I have been very happy with them. I am considering getting a second pair big enough to wear over waders.
D
Did you have to down size with wet wading in mind?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.