Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to come up to East Washington from California to drop off a load of stuff at our place. Taking the I-15 all the way up. When I get done, I will have 2-3 days to fish coming back the same way. Where would you stop to do some wading?

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Sweetlou, are you looking for places to fish in Washington? I take it you're going to take I-15 to I-90 and cut over to Spokane? Well, if you look on a map you'll see that I-90 has a tributary next to it all the way through Cour D'Alene National and crosses a many fishable waters all the way to the I-15 Junction just past Anaconda. Pretty much everywhere we stopped on a trip a few years back had some fish to offer and Great Scenery! Happy fishing.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Going to come up to East Washington from California to drop off a load of stuff at our place. Taking the I-15 all the way up. When I get done, I will have 2-3 days to fish coming back the same way. Where would you stop to do some wading?
The quickest route from southern California to East Washington is I-15 to I-84 then over to Tri-Cities. I just did the I-5 thing down, and I-15 up. I-15 has much better drivers and the only hole you have to go thorough is Salt Lake City. With two or more, park in the commuter lanes and breeze through town. Here is the blog on my trip. www.usbackroads.blogspot.com.

I would stop in Twin Falls with a float tube and waders and check out the lakes and spring fed creeks. You are going to need a Idaho license living in East Washington, anyway. I haven't fished southern Idaho in years so check the regulations but fishing should be in its prime on the lakes soon. That is really where float tubing started for trout.

If you have a dog Utah is hell. One hotel wanted to charge me $30 and $60 for the dog! The Best Western Sawtooth Inn in Jerome is a nice place that takes dogs without a extra fee.

Nice drive with good road. Unless I have a business reason for it I-5 it is going to be a dim memory for my trips.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,
I take I-15 up because it is a nicer drive, then connect to the I-90 into East washington. I have a place in Ione, not that it matters, but I only have 2-3 days to fish. I always see the water along th I-90 but was not sure about its access and public waters. I don't think I'll bring a tube, just waders. If anyone can direct me either north to bonner's ferry area, Sandpoint, Montana, Dillon Mt. anywhere I can soak a line and bust this fever.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweetlou, are you looking for places to fish in Washington? I take it you're going to take I-15 to I-90 and cut over to Spokane? Well, if you look on a map you'll see that I-90 has a tributary next to it all the way through Cour D'Alene National and crosses a many fishable waters all the way to the I-15 Junction just past Anaconda. Pretty much everywhere we stopped on a trip a few years back had some fish to offer and Great Scenery! Happy fishing.
Do you recall where you stopped?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I-15 at Dillon-Poindexter Slough and the Beaverhead. Once on I-90, stop at any of the fishing access points along the Clark Fork. Once you get to Missoula, check with a fly shop (Grizzly Hackle in downtown is nice) and possibly head down the Bitterroot, or continue on I-90 and stop at other access points of the Clark Fork. Past St Regis, the St Regis River is a nice little river with road access all the way along it. Over Lookout pass and then you are following the Couer d'Alene River-head up the north fork for some nice stream fishing. A lot of possibilities! If you did bring a float tube, Clark Canyon Reservoir is a good one! Also, you might try the settling ponds at Warm Springs, near Anaconda-have fun! Rick

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like the Provo Canyon in Utah. If you stop there on a Sunday, you'll have the place to yourself. If it were me, I'd spend most of my time in Dillon on the Beaverhead and Poindexter Slough as Rick mentions above.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Swwetlou, listen to Rick, he pretty much called it. If you have a handheld GPS while you're driving through Cour D'alene National you will see the areas that you can access the streams, just make a waypoint on the GPS and hit it on your way back through. When are you making the drive?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swwetlou, listen to Rick, he pretty much called it. If you have a handheld GPS while you're driving through Cour D'alene National you will see the areas that you can access the streams, just make a waypoint on the GPS and hit it on your way back through. When are you making the drive?
I am driving through May 21-23. then I come back a few days later.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I-15 at Dillon-Poindexter Slough and the Beaverhead. Once on I-90, stop at any of the fishing access points along the Clark Fork. Once you get to Missoula, check with a fly shop (Grizzly Hackle in downtown is nice) and possibly head down the Bitterroot, or continue on I-90 and stop at other access points of the Clark Fork. Past St Regis, the St Regis River is a nice little river with road access all the way along it. Over Lookout pass and then you are following the Couer d'Alene River-head up the north fork for some nice stream fishing. A lot of possibilities! If you did bring a float tube, Clark Canyon Reservoir is a good one! Also, you might try the settling ponds at Warm Springs, near Anaconda-have fun! Rick
Rick, I will only have two shots at this so where would you go if you were me from what you discribed?

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
I am driving through May 21-23. then I come back a few days later.
If your coming in May. Why don't you stay and fish around Ione?

McDowell Lake, Bailey Lake, Browns lake. There are a bunch of lakes that have good fishing right outside of Ione. See the Washngton Department site for additional lakes. That is peak season for that time of year. Also a non-resident Washington license is a bargin at $48. There are plenty more lakes east and north of Spokane.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Rick, I will only have two shots at this so where would you go if you were me from what you discribed?
The real issue at the time of year you are coming is runoff. The Clark Fork, St Regis, and Cour d'Alene are all undammed rivers. If runoff is done by then (call Joe Roppes Castaway Fly Shop in CdA) then I would fish the St Regis (you can also call the St Regis Fly shop) or n fork of the CdA as they are very nice size for wade fishing. Clark Fork is a pretty large river, and is better fished by boat. If runoff is still an issue, the Dillon area is better as the Beaverhead comes our of a dam and is not as subject to spring runoff. If you have the $$, consider a guided trip in the Dillon area. The Beaverhead is an awesome river to float. Another smaller creek to consider depending on runoff is Rock Creek-you will drive right by the mouth of it. Rick

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your coming in May. Why don't you stay and fish around Ione?

McDowell Lake, Bailey Lake, Browns lake. There are a bunch of lakes that have good fishing right outside of Ione. See the Washngton Department site for additional lakes. That is peak season for that time of year. Also a non-resident Washington license is a bargin at $48. There are plenty more lakes east and north of Spokane.
I love stream and river fishing. I have a boat and could do as you say and may do that one day before I head home. I'll be back end of June for a month so I need the licensr anyway.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Shhhhhhhh ..... you didn't hear it from me, but we just had 2,700 winter Steelhead cross through the fish counter just north of Medford (past week). As there's only about 30 miles of river left before they hit the Wm Jess Dam (and hatchery) .... something to think about. How far is this 'upper river' from I-5? About 30-35 minute drive up '62,' tad shorter if you're headed south on I-5; pull off at Gold Hill and head over '234' which intersects 62. All good road/easy drive.

May will be on the late side, but there will still be a goodly number of fish about.

This tape will self destruct in 30 seconds, all knowledge will be denied.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.