Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A co-worker (non fishperson) and I are heading up on a backpack trip Sat/Sun July27/28 to Gothic Basin. For those not familiar, this is in the Mt Baker Snoqualimie NF east of Granite Falls. I was there a few years ago, and it is a fairly high elevation alpine cirque @ ~5000ft. There are two or three lakes up there, cold, deep blue and desolate looking in the rocky basin. On-line reports indicate the trail is mostly snow free to basin - lakes thawed out? Questionable.

I never packed a rod up there on that past trip.
But... wonder if anyone has hit that lake with a flyrod? Cuts? Brooks? Nothing? I'm debating bringing a 4pc. 4wt. up there and a box-o-dries (mosquito,adams, elkcaddis, etc.) Yeah, the weight may be negligible, but again, backpacking deadweight isn't fun with 4000 ft. of trail and a pack!

I really don't know if it would be stocked in past by Highlakers or the like. It may seem that it's altitude (by Cascade standards) may make it too sterile / short season to sustain any fish, however I have had excellent cutthroat flyfishing on other high alpine lakes at similar elevations(aka Robin Lakes, Ramparts, and other "unammed" sudo-secret waters).

Any thoughts on my desision making "rod or no-rod" on this one appreciated!
Thanks

Dryfly, Kirkland

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
There are 2 lakes shown on the USGS Quad in that basin, Weden at about 4000 feet, and Foggy at about 5200 feet.

In my 1979 copy of the Washington State Fishing Guide, it has a list of the Lakes of Washington, and it says that Weden has cutts, but Foggy is not shown to have any fish. Otherwise, its a guess as to whether you should take your rod.

Now, its hard to deal with a query on the Lakes of Gothic Basin, first I hit Terraserver to find what lakes are in Gothic Basin, then get out the old trusty Fishing Guide. I hope that Weden and Foggy are the right lakes, if they aren't tell me what the lake names are, and I will be glad to look it up.

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for taking the time to look up the info Rob!

Yes, sorry I didn't mention them in the original post; but the two main lakes are Foggy and Weden. There are also a few nameless 'puddles' amongst the rockgardens.

Well, I've decided to take the flygear afterall. The decision breaker?
Two things: 1.) with the decent wx predicted, packweight has been reduced (out with the tent, in favor of good downbag & tarp (just in case;-)
2nd> I'd hate to be lakeside tommorrow evening with the dusk sky fading to twilight and the sights and sounds of cutts sipping gnats off the surface of a mirror-like surface...and NOT have the rod/reel and dryflies after hiking in 12 miles!!!

Anyway, thanks. I'll post a report when I return Sunday.
Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey folks,

sorry for the delay, been very busy at work after a great wkend.

My alpine lake report. To put it simply, the alpine lakes region is iffy this year with the late winter snowpack. Headed up to Gothic Basin area Sat/Sun 27th, 28th. Still lots of snow up there!
Both lakes were still completly frozen over (is this almost August?)

I lugged the 4pc/4wt and reel and 2 boxes or flies etc. but they stayed lashed to the pack the whole trip. Ironic thing, was at the end of the hike the reader board at trailhead mentioned Foggy Lake (above 5000ft elv.). It stated 'contains no fish'. Hummm.. imagine that. Well, the short season and the sterility of that area I can see that being the case. There are numerous other high lakes in that region however, and I plan to scout them later in the summer/fall. Anyway, it was a fun backpack and camp. The only real flies that flew were the kind that suck blood -skitters were insane numbers!!
I may go and explore the Sauk, Stillaguamish forks sometime, good water noted on lower approach to trail.

For those hiker/flyfisher types, you can see my trail report @

< www.wta.org >

search for "gothic basin", my report is the latest on July 27th by Bumknee (long story on that psudonymn... :-(

Chopaka trip in Sept here I come !!

Dryfly, Kirkland

:HAPPY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.