Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
60 Posts
Hopefully by then most of the lakes will be ice free but you never know. I was at a lake at 4000' last weekend and it was still mostly frozen and the water was probably 38 degrees. It will definitely depend on what elevation you're at, the end of June is actually still early for most alpine lake fishing in a typical year. For flies bring small leeches and soft hackle wet flies. Midges, Parachute Adams and ants are all good dries to have.

· aka Justin
818 Posts
I am no expert, but I would expect most of the higher lakes (above 4000-5000') to be pretty frozen still. If you stay below 4000', you should probably be fine depending on the area and sun exposure. Last weekend driving over Snoqualmie Pass, it looked like most the snow was gone in the 3000'-4000' range. Fish are hungry after ice out.

· Remember when you could remember everything?
7,174 Posts
Whether or not you'll find snow is not so much dependent on altitude as it is exposure. A 4,000 foot lake in full sun will likely be completely ice-free while another one at the same elevation but on the north side of a steep ridge or cirque, and thus in shade, will likely still be iced.

K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.