Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit it for a few hours this last weekend. Several fish (not a ton 15 to hand?), several missed and or lost fish.

All were small, around 14 - 15" Water temp was high - 70 degrees, got fish in and out fast, but still worried about stress. Couple places it was 68 degrees...

Used one fly the whole time, because they were everywhere - Water Boatman. One throat pump was all that was necessary.

I only picked up 3 larger fish on finder, and lost one, about 20ish.

I know there are springs in there, which is probably where the bigger ones are hanging out. However, I stayed right out in front of the launch area for the most part.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Curious about size and color of the water boatmen. On my last stillwater outing, the water boatmen seemed to be lighter brown, almost tan compared to darker in color earlier in the year. I don't know squat about them but sure love a trout's take on this fly.

Fishin' deep?

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I was deep. Although as the fish moved up the column, I got them a bit higher.

Had to move the bug fast! They didn't go for the slow twitch, which was odd, cause all the ones I watched, were swimming rather slow...:confused:

And I tie several different types, but the black on top, and tan underside worked fine.

Never changed my bug, so not sure if something else would have worked or not.

I kinda think if you're close on color and size, it's all about the speed. I've had days where I went so slow, I wasn't sure it was moving, lol, but got fish. But this last outing was fast retrieve.

What kinda sucked, was that I was getting mist fish when I let it sink all the way, then strip real fast up.

I say it sucked, us because I had my 5 wt type V sink on my 4 wt Sage LL. I don't like making long casts with that set up, so it was - strip out line, paddle away, let sink, then strip, verses cast and strip.

Size 10 was what I used. I think it was on the bigger side, (a half size of natural) but it worked.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Usually (usually) I think a series of quick strips and a pause works for imitating water boatmen, sometimes. How's that for being not specific?

I cast an Airflo WF6/7-sink 7 with a 5 weight (but not an LL), loads the rod quite well. My casting is iffy on good days but when I do get a good cast, the count down helps get in the zone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.