Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So, I've been thinking about the coming months, an upcoming (fall) family vacation on the Oregon coast, and the fact that between the two of us we have two 5wt.s and a solitary 8wt rod.

Now, my wife also fishes, as you probably guessed from the, "between the two of us", so everything needs to come in sets of two, but they don't have to match. That means that the single handed 8wt rod is a little bit of a problem, as we can't fish it at the same time, but it also means that I already have an 8wt single-handed rod. I was thinking of adding a close, but not exact, match. In fact I'm leaning toward an 8wt switch rod. I figure that it wouldn't be impossible for the two rods to be happy fishing together, but when I do fish alone the new rod opens up some new possibilities. So, while I'm asking about a 8wt. switch setup, go ahead and suggest other things that could overlap enough with the current 8wt to fish together, but also add flexibility to the quiver.

So, when I look at a rod like the TFO Deer Creek Switch, the advertised price on that is $350, I'm thinking it would take another, what $250 for a reel and line? So that's seeming like a $600 deal. That's probably the top of what's doable for me. So, the TFO Deer Creek seems like one I should go try out at a fly shop. The Echo SR seems to be in the same range (and recommended in a previous thread), so there's that too... What other rods should I consider/try out? Is there a rod that's going to have a significantly different action than those?

thanks,

Paul

P.S. Yeah, I know, I have it rough, a wife who actively encourages the addiction and is even an excuse for me to gear up.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
First, you're in good shape given where you live. Two active (every weekend?) mini-Spey Claves where you can test out rods/line combo's/etc. Someone will have to chime in here with the who/what/where/when. Cast some rod/line combo's; think of 'women,' what turns one guy on turns another one off.

fae

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
I've got the 7wt Echo SR lined up with a 9wt Airflo 40+, and it's my all around most useful setup I own. And I've been a long time non-believer in the switch rod concept. They're tough rods to dial in, but once you get them lined up correctly, they're a good thing to have around. For an 8wt type setup, I recommend that same setup I'm running in the 7wt. With speys and switches, the rod "weight" is less important/accurate than on a single hand rod.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the DC switch in the 4, 6 and 8wt. I find that I don't use the 8 as much as I thought I would. The 6wt is good all around rod for the price. It will handle skagit, scandi and short belly lines equally well. If you are using big bulky flies and T-14 all the time then the 8wt is what you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.