Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am going silver fishing to a few spots tommorrow thanks to the help of a few of you that were kind enought to give me some spots. I practice C&R, don't worry and I'll keep my mouth shut.

However, I have caught them in Alaska on egg patterns. I mentioned this to someone and they put me under the impression it was wrong to fish with those patterns for silvers.

Is this true? I mean it is hard enough to hook one using a fly, on a hook that is barbless, only to release it.

I carry a needle nose wire cutter with me in the event of inhalement,and I know how to release.

Is this wrong to use an egg pattern or was he blowing smoke.

Yours always,

Phil :DUNNO :CONFUSED

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey Phil, Don't worry about it, egg patterns are fine. Lot's of guys use them. I was going to go to the river today, but slept in. Maybe tonight. anyway, I'll email you some good spots. YT

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Phil, around here, chances are pretty good that if you catch a silver it will be a hatchery fish (adipose fin will be missing). Don't want to reignite a C & R debate, but maybe you should factor that into the equation.

That said, I have fished an egg pattern that is different than a normal egg fly tied on the small egg hook. The pattern is called Cotton Candy. It is tied on a standard straight shank nymph hook in size 8 - 10. You weight the shank, tie in a wisp of synthetic cotton material (looks kind of like stuffing for sofa pillows) at the eye, wrap the thread to the bend, tie in a wisp of the white stuff there, tie in a piece of flourescent orange chenille, wrap the thread forward, wrap the chenille forward and tie off. It basically looks like a clump of eggs with milt hanging out both ends. Unlike a normal single egg pattern, I think this fly is too big to really be inhaled.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
Phil, this is always the question we hear; ethics and morality. And how far do we take all this? How about looking at it from the fish's point of view- when hooked they fight for their lives with the same degree of intensity, irrespective of the type of doo-dad applied to the hook.I have caught silvers on egg patterns and it's fun. Mostly on the swing. It's been my experience that they don't "inhale" them, nor do they get hooked too deeply.I like a streamer for silver fishing, or a surface fly like the Polly Wog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.