Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enclosed are some pics of a remarkable new log splitter I bought recently. For you guys that process your own firewood this could reduce your time and effort dramatically. It is American made, cost under $800, is very well engineered and FAST! What makes this machine different is the fact that it splits wood in both directions. Cycle time is 10 seconds on the model I have and with the cradles each holding another log you can realistically split 3 logs in 30 seconds.

Our firewood provider retired and now we find ourselves late in life and charged with providing our own wood. The good news is we have 20 acres of trees but it is a long road from a standing tree to cured wood in the wood box waiting to go into the stove. This machine has shortened that road considerably.

I hope this won't be taken as spam. Anyone that does their own firewood knows it is a hard hot dirty process that seriously eats into your fishing time. When something comes along that takes a big bite out of that process it needs some exposure. The difference between this splitter and conventional single direction splitters is the difference between dial-up and wireless. Nuff said.

Ive

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
As a log splitter and a dial-up user I can appreciate a splitter that reduces the need bend to the ground more times than necessary. Can you provide a brand or manufacturers name so I can Google up more details on this model?

Thanks
TC

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's it Larry. I bought it on sale for $759 and with shipping it came to $1,000. That is still less than the single action models displayed in my area. And I didn't have to pay tax so that $65 could help amortize the shipping expense. Best of all the trucking company placed it right in the center of my barn floor while I was out fishing. I was able to assemble it right on the spot.

Always nice to buy something that exceeds expectations. It's a pretty rare occurrence nowadays.

Ive

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
nice. what is the max log diameter that splitter can take? I have LOTS of 20-28" diameter logs and trees pending to be cut down. Anything logs less than 18" is no problem to split with an axe, just anything bigger than that is more challenging.just the bigger ones are more challenging, you know gotta save the arm for fishing and holding up kids,etc. heh.

....Thanks larry, your link answered all my questions!

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
While in college, I rented a home for several years whose only heat source was a rusty wood stove. Staying warm for a year required about 9 cords, so I became pretty proficient with splitting maul, axe and tight-stacking, not to mention chain saw, wedges and loading my trusty pickup truck with air shocks and 8-ply tires. Nowadays, I only occasionally split wood for our fireplace or outdoor summer fire pit and understand completely how much more difficult it is to do so with a body that's somehow become 40 years older, slower and weaker. I can easily see how that machine could quickly take much of the chore out of laying in a few cords every season.

Question: what does double-action refer to?

TIA,

K

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
Kent

On both ends of the beam that the log rests on is a stop that the log is pushed up against by the wedge as it (the wedge) travels along the beam and through the log. The wedge stops its travel just before it hits the end stop.The log can be placed against either stop at either end and the wedge can travel in either direction with equal force. The wedged is double ended.

Most splitters have a wedge that only moves in one direction with sufficient force to split. Then the wedge returns to it's original position, ready for another split.
Most splitters are just a simple hydraulic ram with a single edged wedge on the end. I assume this one either uses a mechanical screw mechanism to drive the wedge or perhaps a ram on each end or a dual direction ram in the middle. Or something along those lines.

TC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.