Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Monty
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got word of a last minute trip to Anchorage for work this weekend.:thumb: I have to get tickets today. I am going to stay maybe three extra days for fishing and wondering where and what to focus on. Silvers, Big ol bows, dollies or something. Not gonna do the guide thing, just the rental truck and gas. I would sure appreciate some help on this one, long way to go and not a lot of time to search for days on where to hit up.

thanks

·
GO COUGS
784 Posts
Anchorage!! I was up there for a Month coaching early this summer in May and early June. None of the Salmon had hit the rivers other then the Kings and i did not fork out the extra 40 for a king tag. But i did chase some monster Bows. Look up Montana Creek. It is about an hour North of Wasilla and offers great Rainbow fishing and has decent access. We camped right next to the river and i hooked into nice fish consistently all day.

Swing by Three Rivers Fly Shop in Wasilla. They are really helpful, i went in there and talked to them and the guy working (Forgot his Name) pointed me in the right direction and hooked me up with some flies. Give them a call (907) 373-5434 and swing in, its a great little shop right off the highway in town there. Other then Montana Creek i fished some other waters but Montana was clearly my favorite for big Bows! Brought in fish that ranged from 16-23" they all put a great bend in my 8 wt! Hope this helps and good luck man!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sinktip, head South to the Kenai Peninsula, you have the option of road accessible streams, starting with the Russian/Kenai River confluence (about 1hour 40minutes from Anchorage). Great rainbow, dolly varden and silver fishing. You can access various points on the Kenai River for the next 6-7 miles from that point. You can also head further South for steelhead on the Nilnilchic, Deep Creek, or Anchor River. If you need specifics, send a pm.

D ray

·
Monty
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my ticket out of here for AK today, to bad it's round trip.bawling:Just need to throw some gear in duffal bag and split. Thanks for the input guys. Fished MT creek in july a couple of years ago, great place and was thinking about it, but given the the time of year and the fact that the guys who live and fish there say,
"Go South". AHH......I am going south as fast as I can!! You have seen D Ray's gallery photos, right???

Anyway, a plan is taking shape. Thanks again:beer2:

·
Monty
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, most guys get a little touchy when the beads come out. The hatchery hens take them easy, it's the native hens you have to work at. Booze seems to help.:ray1:

·
Registered
38 Posts
sick.

I've heard of guys painting beads with nail polish but I suppose scented ones might work... the river sorta smells like rotten ass now anyways...

8 mil washed out beads working just fine... and flesh flies.

Stop in to Troutfitters in Cooper Landing (new log building on your left, past Hamiltons gas station), they'll set you up with the right beads and patterns, and point you in the right direction (just dont bust out your bead chain until after you've started fishing). good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.