Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
And I thought Fly Guys would spend 'what ever it takes.' Posh, where was my think

Sorry Fred. Nobody cares about the spinning reel guys. Now we'll see who comes out from the "Dark Side" on here.....

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
And I thought Fly Guys would spend 'what ever it takes.' Posh, where was my think

It must be a mental thing Fred. I didn't blink at $1200 for a bamboo fly rod or dropping a couple hundred on a Hardy reel, but my interest in spin fishing tackle is far more rational: $30 for a rod and $50 for a reel was the most I was willing to go.

Sg

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

What did you expect..it's Saltwater. Everything there is $$$$$

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Now I can see $1,200 for a Boo rod, but not what Hardy (or for that spinning reel) wants for one of their reels. Why anyone would (even) consider paying that kind of $$ for 100 year old 'tecknology' is beyond my scope of comprehention.

Fred

·
Ugly member
736 Posts

shimano does makes some pretty "high-end" gear. It is also pretty well put together, it's one of those brand names where you can count on the quality by the name. Like, if you are looking to buy a reel and there were five to pick from or so at the store, you could grab one of theirs with confidance that it works. But with quality assosiated to a name, comes a high price...Sage, G Loomis, Simms, Smith&Wesson, and so on. Their more reasonably priced stuff is also really good.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts

But it comes with free shipping. I'm a sucker for free shipping, so I bought one. Thanks for the link, that extra $750 in my teaching salary just had to get burned up somehow.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts

Lots of fly reels north of a grand too. Blew my mind when a reel designer and builder was busting the chops of site sponsor Allen Fly Fishing for his affordable reels (around a hundred bucks) when the other guy's were more than a grand. Some of those Saracione reels are $1200. I've invested a bit in gear, but never that much in one piece at one time.

I understand the blue water / offshore folks. That is a totally different game that is out of my league.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The Stellas are worth it. I've seen some monster Giant Trevally, Dogtooth Tuna, and Yellowfin Tuna landed on them down in the Coral Sea (they were the only reel the mothership operation used on their spinning rods). They've really revolutionized what people previously thought was possible with a spinning reel for popper and deep jig fishing. Cheap spinning reels would blow up in no time battling those kinds of fish day after day.
I agree re: the Stella's - truly top of the line for spinning reels and ideally suited for deep water jigging for huge fish. Highly engineered with high quality components. Checkout buttefly jigging on YouTube.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Lots of fly reels north of a grand too.

I understand the blue water / offshore folks. That is a totally different game that is out of my league.
Ahhh, good point Mr. M, :thumb: missed the salt water bit. Rather doubt a Zebco would last all that long.bawling:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

Not that I'm buying (or buying $1000 fly reels for that matter), but It would seem to me the amount of engineering and parts that goes into a salt water spinning reel capable of stopping a giant trevalle, etc is far more than the amount of engineering/materials that goes into a fly reel. When you look at it that way it makes more sense.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts

That quality bait casting and spinning reels should cost more than a quality fly reel has always made sense to me. But for many years, it was the simple century old fly reel technology of Hardy that cost more than the intricate and wll engineered casting and spinning reels. I attributed that to marketing genius.

Sg

·
Registered
854 Posts

Now if it were made by Zebco, I know some guys who'd bite.
Maybe......but only if it was on sale at WallMart......

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts

I'd gladly spend those kind of dollars on a close-tolerance, mechanical device that rotates . . . if it were an impeller/propeller on a fly-fishing taxi & the boat/engine came with it. Reckon if I can't catch it on a fly rod, I ain't ever gonna catch it at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.