Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forecasts predicted something else, but I think I have my bet on another crazy fire year. Last year was a trip. Hot as hell. Everything burning. Spent six weeks inside with a newborn because of the smoke.

95 today. 20+ degrees above average. Dry dry dry. Snowpack looked good, but early season temps seemed to do a number on those percentages. No flooding this year, just bumps on the meter.

I have been in one place for nine years. Observed everything weather wise because of fly fishing. The changes I am seeing feel, well......alarming.

Anyon else feeling this way?

G

·
I'm thinking the same thing. I don't know where you live but the rivers here in Montana mostly look pretty low for this time of year. Peak run off is usually now. A few rivers like the Madison and Yellowstone look ok, but most others are well below average for this date.

The upper Flathead rivers look good but drop below the lake.

Our winter quit here at my place about February. The snow in my woods was gone about six weeks ahead of normal (whatever that is any more). I was able to get my tractor into my woods to cut and chip beetle kill way early.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. I don't know where you live but the rivers here in Montana mostly look pretty low for this time of year. Peak run off is usually now. A few rivers like the Madison and Yellowstone look ok, but most others are well below average for this date.

The upper Flathead rivers look good but drop below the lake.

Our winter quit here at my place about February. The snow in my woods was gone about six weeks ahead of normal (whatever that is any more). I was able to get my tractor into my woods to cut and chip beetle kill way early.
Agree. Decent snow pack but early heat. I believe we are in for another potential smoke fest this summer.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
There's a big grass fire on the south outskirts of Kennewick right now - folks & stock evacuated, I-82 shut-down, & the wind is picking-up. It has spit a little rain; more would be a blessing. I've heard sirens all afternoon. If you're heading to the Kennewick area or points east, it would be prudent to have your radio on, exit at Dallas Road & go around.

Update: Raining pretty hard at present, but lightning to go with it. Hopefully, the rain will give the responders some help.

·
Inactive
1,974 Posts
There's a big grass fire on the south outskirts of Kennewick right now - folks & stock evacuated, I-82 shut-down, & the wind is picking-up. It has spit a little rain; more would be a blessing. I've heard sirens all afternoon. If you're heading to the Kennewick area or points east, it would be prudent to have your radio on, exit at Dallas Road & go around.

Update: Raining pretty hard at present, but lightning to go with it. Hopefully, the rain will give the responders some help.
Was wondering where them Eltopia Franklin County FD boyz were heading, damn winds been ragin since noon but hopefully these spotty showers can help!

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Historically dry places burn. Frequently. EWA is no different.

I grew up in California. The only thing you knew was coming every year with any certainty wasn't rain, snow or even earthquakes. It was the fires. They came then. They came 300 years ago. They will come for the next 300 years.
Lightening has been responsible way longer than 300 years ago. I understand the climate changers are working on making that illegal and holding someone responsible. ;)

Reactions: Alex MacDonald

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Welcome to eastern WA, been here long?
A couple years ago I was answering the fire information phones and a guy called in with the following questions.

Are forest fires "normal" here during the summer?? AND Are rattlesnakes common to the area?? This was AFTER the guy buys his house outside of Cashmere.

Current prediction is for a "normal" fire season in eastern Washington and below normal for fires in Montana. Hope it holds I am really looking forward to a calm summer.

·
Inactive
1,974 Posts
A couple years ago I was answering the fire information phones and a guy called in with the following questions.

Are forest fires "normal" here during the summer?? AND Are rattlesnakes common to the area?? This was AFTER the guy buys his house outside of Cashmere.

Current prediction is for a "normal" fire season in eastern Washington and below normal for fires in Montana. Hope it holds I am really looking forward to a calm summer.
I was just a pup but man that rat creek fire in 94 was crazy! Still got my purple shirt with a giant rat on it and remember watching as my family almost lost a rental house on the outskirts of the barbaric village

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
A friend of mine was in a helicopter looking down, while NINE other ships were dumping water on it. And it still go up and ran over the hill!!

He flew fire helicopters for LA Fire and said he'd never seen anything like it. One cigarette was all it took to get going.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.