Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got the pole, boots, waders,vest with a few flys and a great attitude. I'm planning on heading out Tues. evening to the Snoqualmie(Middle Fork) probably. Did anyone fish the Middle fork this weekend and how was it. Also any other suggestions of equipment I should get eventually. I realize I don't have a net but I'm planning on catch and releasing anyway so the net is further down my needs list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kringle

·
North Bend, WA
4,867 Posts
Hi Kringle,

Your on your way. Right on.

Tues will be too soon for the Middle Fork as it's still high and off color. The N & S Forks will usually recover faster after bad and / or warm spring temps (runoff) but even they are too high right now. The M Fork averages better (size) when flows permit, the other Forks produce fun evenings of high count, slightly smaller fish and are wadeable more often.

I don't always use a net on the rivers when wading. On foot you have the ability to bring them in shallow and control them better. There have been a couple occasions though when a net would have controlled an active fish that didn't think coming to hand was a two way ticket. When you catch and release, the priority is a safe release. A net will help considerably with assist to quickly control your catch especially when your coming up to speed with working active fish. You may want to put it back on your list, at least a cheaper net for now. If your planning on doing any floating (stillwater or rivers) a net should be a must.

Email me next week and I'll let you know how the Middle Fork is shaping up. With the warmer weather we're expecting I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

Regards,

~Chris

[email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, Thanks for the advice. SO would the upper Green be a better bet or should I just try a local lake from the shore? Float tube and net comes out of the next paycheck. Le me know if you or anyone else has any suggestions. Thanks again. Kringle

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way. Chris is right about the net; if you plan on C&R you'll need it more than you think. You don't need one of the fancy tropical hardwood jobs, but make sure it has the "softer" knot-free netting. Get one with a big bag that will handle larger fish; you can tie a knot in the bottom to shallow it up for smaller fish and tangle-free catch-and-releasing.

(Also: you're a flyfisher now; it's a rod, not a pole. :WINK )

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you tried one of those glove nets? It is a glove out of net material or something like that. It seemed like a good idea for those times you don't want to carry a net. I hate having a net when bushwacking the small streams. It gets caught on everything.

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
I myself do not use a net for small trout on lakes unless they just will not calm down or the hook is in the back of the mouth, only for trout over 14" do I use a net very often. I also do not touch the small fish or keep them out of the water long {most not at all}. I find that by getting the head up out of the water and using the hook remover I can remove the hook quickly and not take the fish out of its element. The fish then recovers and swims away quickly without a bit of slime or scales missing. Of course I have had lots of practice releasing fish this way and I do keep a net for the ones I need it for. When river fishing it a diffrent story a net is needed due to the currents and the fish need to be given more time to recover before release also the net allows the fish to be taken to a place with either no current or very little for the release. Untill you quickly can remove the hook {less then 2 seconds} use a net for all the fish you catch both lakes and streams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.