Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the upper canyon of the Yakima yesterday and returned to my car to find a window smashed. The thief didn't get shi- though because I took my valuables with me (that's the reminder). But I am inconvenienced and out $100 for the deductible to replace the window. I didn't allow it to ruin my day either: Gorgeous day and even caught a few trouties. And I consider the thief lucky because this pistol packin' 6/2 220 lb. dude doesn't like car thieves....nuff said

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
I see no reason why folks need to leave their doors unlocked so it makes it easier for some fucking douchebag tweaker to get into your vehicle. That applies for downtown Seattle, your home or on the Yakima river. Why not just leave the doors wide open? In my opinion, you're just playing into their hand.

Sam,
Sorry to hear about your loss and missed opportunity at some target practice.

·
Rich Layendecker
199 Posts
Last Friday (24th) I arrived at the Lower (east) Cle Elum boat launch. I was the only person there. As I rigged up, this beat up car with a beat up looking guy entered the lot and looked around. He really looked suspicious to me. I walked up to him took a careful and obvious look at the car and at him and said hello. I hung around the lot a little while but he did not leave so I concluded that I had nothingn worth stealing in my car and walked off. Eventually he left. When I got back I expected to find a broken window but all was OK. All in all an unpleasant expereince but I don't see I could have done anything else. BTW the fishign was good but not as good as a week earlier.

·
Registered
606 Posts
ral - this is the reason a lot of people park out on the road at SCE. There are enough deputies going by most of the time to deter anyone from breaking up a window there. I live about a quarter mile from there and I know there are about five of us that keep an eye on this site. I do not hesitate to call the deputies when I see someone poking around there (both on the road and back in both lots.

·
Les Paul Lover
258 Posts
ral - this is the reason a lot of people park out on the road at SCE. There are enough deputies going by most of the time to deter anyone from breaking up a window there. I live about a quarter mile from there and I know there are about five of us that keep an eye on this site. I do not hesitate to call the deputies when I see someone poking around there (both on the road and back in both lots.
Thanks for doing that. I use that lot quite often and it's nice to know that you all are watching.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
During one outing, after pulling my cataraft from MM19 me and the two friends fishing with me went to MM20 where they wade fished for a bit. I sat in the rig to eat my sandwich as I had been rowing thus far in the day. While there a vehicle pulled in and someone got out, walked along the three or four vehicles behind mine. The dude was obviously doing some window peeking, not sure if he was window shopping or not. As he walked past my trailer he was looking at my cataraft. About the time he was between my trailer and back of my rig I popped my door open and slid out, facing right at him. The guy about shit his pants, turned, bolted for his rig and drove off. I called his POS white van plates in to the local law and gave them a pretty good description of what he looked like, what direction he was headed, the no good I was sure he was up to and the fact that I think he had a full load in his drawers. I'm a visitor there. I appreciate all of the local folks that have been very friendly on and off the river. Thank you all for keeping an eye out for others whenever and wherever we all choose to spend our recreational time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it's very unfortunate but when I talked to the cops with my incident he mentioned a little ring that has been going on, though they caught and arrested the two that were involved with mine I saw the same car 2 days later so I doubt anything happened to them. when the deputy left he said that he would give the case to the juvenile prosecutor, so my guess is they got booked and released I almost wish they would have gotten something out of my truck (with the same outcome of course) so they would actually have been locked up for some actual time. thank you to everyone who does their part, I think in the fly fishing community we have a pretty good brotherhood and like to look out for each other, something you will never find in any bait casting group! I am very thankful for that knowing that were all looking out for each other helps me fish a little more worry free.

Tight lines everyone

·
Registered
561 Posts
On the flip side of this, I work at Clark County Juvenile Detention and can tell you that we always have a couple of kids in custody here on some kind of car prowl or car theft. I know I'm not supposed to but when I find out what they have done I proceed to tell them that they are lucky that they didn't get shot not to mention, this is one reason why our insurance premium goes up. They're responce is always the same, first I get that stupid empty look and the I don't care comment back and the bad this is they really don't give a shit if someones window got broken. They've figured that if they get caught they might do a couple weeks in here but in the end they got a couple hundred dollars for our hard earned stuff to go party with. Sucks doesn't it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.