Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this today. We should be pushing for C&R from the beaches yearlong with exceptions for hatchery harvest.

Leland.

Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:07:14 -0800

Subject: Area 9 Salmon fishing in 2003

Thank you all for the messages in support of Area 9 July fishing opportunity. Its quite amazing to hear so many voices of support for this fishery after more than one public meeting has been dominated by voices for closing that fishery in favor of a April chinook catch&keep fishery. I guess that show us at WDFW again the in spite of our attempts each year to notify the public that fishing seasons are being discussed and debated at our "North of Falcon" public meetings, we are really not hearing from all the diverse viewpoints of participants in our fisheries.

We are not finished with our meetings until next Friday, April 11. We have put up a "preferred" set of regulations for fisheries that includes the closure of Area 9 in July. We did consider the possiblity of some beach access fishing but since we have no data describing the impact of beach fishing alone, we have concluded that when a marine area is closed, shore-based fishing is also closed. We hope to gather information on the relative amount of effort associated with shore-based fishing during those times when fishing is opened (August, September).

I would appreciate you keeping in touch about this and other fish and fishing issues. We have attempted to reach out to more people who represent the diverse types of fishing that include catch & release as well as keep fisheries. It really helps to have you participate in our public meetings. Usually people who participate in this process don't get everything they want in fisheries, but if you don't participate, its far more likely that your point of view will not be represented. This year could be a wake-up call for you to attend future discussions.

Thanks for your providing me with your opinion.

Pat Pattillo
Salmon Policy Coordinator
Intergovernmental Resource Management
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
360-902-2705

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Searun cutthroat are considered freshwater and not part of the salmon equation. I knew we could always loophole fish but then it would be nice not having to argue with the agents.

Leland.

·
Registered
96 Posts
is searun cutts are considered freshwater, why do we need saltwater licenses to fish for them in the salt? this is an honest question, as i had asked about this when i got my 2003 license, and was told, yes, you need the saltwater license to fish for cutts in the salt.

·
Registered
729 Posts
if you cast a line in saltwater you need a saltwater license, salmon are considered freshwater fish also if I'm right and try saying to a warden you don't need a saltwater license fishing a beach for cutties.

in 2001 I fished at point no point for src's and so did a few regulars fishing for "TUNA" casting cutplugs and letting them drift with the eddy in july with a lot of kings hooked that way during that time of year, he just looked at the size of my flies and said "watch it". looked at the "tuna fisherman" and said get out of here. all in all I will be fishing for srcs in july up in hansville.

there should be catch and release season for fly anglers from shore all year, wait it is like that for srcs. casting buzzbombs in july up there will get you a hefty ticket. but only people who dont know how to fish use those.

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art:beer2

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry, I missed the point.

You do need a saltwater license to fish the saltwater beaches. Searun cutthroat are not considered a saltwater fish when the PFMC meets to consider salmon season. And you may, of course, fish for them on the beaches even during salmon closures. But it would be better if we worked for C&R of salmon year-round from the beach, wouldn't you say?

Leland

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
What bothers me about Ms Pattillo's response is the statement that ": this could be a wake-up call for you(us) to participate in the future". I find that chilling considering that the WDFW has been participating all along, in fisheries management here, and they still have no idea of the "impact of a beach fishery". That's really a telling statement.

I see about six to twenty five fishers on any one of the points of land that fishers gather upon during the open season on area nine beaches, at any given time of day, every day of season. Obviously,(to me anyway), many of these people are part of a continual exchange of fishers throughout the day. So there are in fact many more fishers on a given day, in a given spot, than it would appear at a single glance. There are two very prominent spots here in Port Townsend; Point Wilson, at Fort Worden, and Marrowstone Point at Fort Flagler. Both of these areas have "Parking Fees" of five dollars per day.( Fort Worden's daily parking fee was subsidized by local business groups so visitors could park for free). For fishers this is in addition to the "access fee" that they already pay, out of their annual lisence fee(s).

Aside from State Parks, there are numerous, dozens, of prominent points of land that people have congregated upon to fish area nine waters for decades. So on any given day it could reasonably be assumed that hundreds, even a thousand or more, anglers could be fishing in area nine. Especially holiday weekends. And somehow WDF&W has no clue as to "the impact of a beach fishery" in area nine.

By no stretch of the imagination do boaters out-number, nor politically out-voice, beach anglers. They just got organized, very quietly, and manipulated a process,(North of Falcon), that is vulnerable to this kind of abuse. Yes, it is about money. If you care, call or write now and get involved today. Now. Or just mow your lawn this summer and be quiet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.