Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if you feel this is inappropriate for this forum. I'll make it quick. In a message from another forum that I monitor I came across this online petition which is directed to the IRS and requests that PETA's tax-exempt status be reviewed and/or revoked. I thought some of you might be interested in checking it out. Thanks

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/rvkptaex/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I apologize in advance if you feel this is inappropriate for this forum. I'll make it quick. In a message from another forum that I monitor I came across this online petition which is directed to the IRS and requests that PETA's tax-exempt status be reviewed and/or revoked. I thought some of you might be interested in checking it out. Thanks

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/rvkptaex/
I apologize in advance if you feel this is inappropriate for this forum.

Yes, I do think it's inappropriate. Highly inappropriate. If you think you should apologize in advance, then why post it? Ordinarily, I don't respond to political comments on this forum because I don't want to offend anyone. In this case, you've offended me. :REALLYMAD

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Dr. Bob - chill, baby. Or are you a PETA member? If you are, I'm sure this petition rubs the wrong way. I doubt I'll sign it because I think I'd rather compete on the merits of the debate itself and I think a petition drive like this gives this organization more publicity than it deserves. But PETA is one strange organization. It borders on a cult, in my view. Go look at their web site - they make all sorts of crazy assertions, like the story of Jesus' miracle of the loaves and fishes is probably false, he was probably a vegetarian and wouldn't have killed fishes, blah, blah, blah. (What the hell does that have to do with what they stand for anyway?) I'm probably about as liberal as they come, but these folks are a tad over the top for me (okay, that's an understatement).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you, Bailey and Alpinetrout, for your posts. No activity, fly fishing included, exists in a vacuum, and I thinks it's important that we know what the issues are--and who the opposition is.

This thread brings up a great philosophical question: Is catch-and-release fishing ethical?

I believe it is, but I have a hard time putting words to my belief. I'm curious how others would answer this question...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I tried to keep it as simple and short as possible, but too late! I apologized in advance not because I thought I would offend anyone, but because some people on these forums think that posts like mine that don't relate to specific fly fishing issues like where to fish or what fly to use are a waste of space and time. That is why I kept it short and tried to use a specific enough subject to prevent any unwanted viewing by those that just want their fix of fishing reports, etc. I was simply putting a web site out there that I had just come accross that presents a reasonable petition to read. I don't remember asking you or anyone else to sign. I personally feel it is important for us fly fishers to be aware of what is going on in the government and organizations like PETA when it relates to our right to fish, which is why I feel that my post is appropriate for this forum. I also feel that posts with a more political nature than mine would be appropriate if they are directly related to our activity, fly fishing. Maybe the moderator will instruct me otherwise.

I find it strange and sad that such a benign and purely informational anti-PETA post would offend you or anyone else involved in this forum. I'm sure that some here don't agree with the petition, and that is fine, and those that don't want to waste their time will likely just ignore it. Like I said before, I never asked anyone to sign it. But, it is a fact that PETA is working against our right to fish. That is what I find offensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sure, it applies.
but, think about it. peta might be anti fishing, but a lot of the things they are for, i think a lot of catch-and-release flyfisherman are all about.
they're anti fishing because they aren't fisherman. i don't kill trout because they are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of a freshwater fish. i do eat salmon, and would kill hatchery salmon if i could catch them. i have a friend who is in all regards vegan, but he does eat fish that he or his friends kill, and game that he or his friends kill.
i think that we should all do what we think is ethically right. that is what peta is trying to do.
anyway, they aren't going to make fishing illegal. that's rediculous.
it doesn't apply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bailey,

I apologize. I knew that PETA was an extremist group, but I did not know that PETA was opposed to fishing. My ignorance has gotten the best of me.

Of course, given their opposition to fishing, any information about them is relevant to our forum.

If you had prefaced your original post, re: their position on fishing, then I wouldn't have made a fool of myself.

I agree with Saltchuck above, and I thank you for your original post.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Oh, What a thread. I want to say a bunch, But I won't. Just wanted to say PETA sucks. They are so misguided in their efforts. The guy who said the thing about the BK Veggie burger thing, thanks, you made me laugh on a rather somber day. :THUMBSUP YT

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks DrBob, I was hoping it was your misunderstanding of PETA's mission and not your support of it that led to your message. I'm glad I have brought it to your attention. The funny thing is that I cut out a big paragraph in my original post that described that PETA has been involved in anti-fishing activities and decided to cut it to make my message short assuming that everyone was aware of it. I wish I would have had Alpinetrout's web site link in my message. That was even more extreme than I had imagined. Yikes!

I saw a few messages about PETA on another forum, the older and better flyshop.com, and started to do some investigating. It is pretty scary. I'm not afraid of them completely outlawing fishing or hunting, or anything else but they have a huge following and have been successful implementing their agenda on small scale projects.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Bailey,
You are right on the mark. People don't know enough about this terrorist funding organization. To be honest, anything "Good" they do, IMO, is negated by the fact they support terrorism. Like saying Hamas in Israel is an OK organization because they bring food to the hungry...they're a terrorist group. Period.
PETA is anti people keeping pets, anti-fishing, anti-consumtion, anti-medical research involving animals. And YES, they are anti-catch and release. They do very, very little to actually help animals, however. Most of their money is spent on media campaigns and bizzare stunts. They do not save starving kitties.
My personal favorite PETA stunt is the time they captured deer in I believe MI...They put orange hunting vests on them and released them...I suppose to make them look like people....Well, the local sporting goods store put a bounty on those deer. I doubt there's ever been an easier hunt!
As primarily a hunter and a fisher second as well as a meat eater and pet owner.... I hate this organization.
And last year at this time, what where they doing in Seattle? The circus was in town this week last year...Unlike the rest of us who were in shock about 9/11...They were out protesting the circus at the Key Arena... Geez, kids are tramatized from the attacks and they have put up with those people with blow horns...Not my idea of appropriate for the occasion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some of their stunts are downright hilarious. And then you stop laughing and realize that there are many mindless adults and impressionable children out there that listen to them. THe latest is a "Got Beer" campaign at the top 10 party colleges aimed at exposing the cruelty of milk production suggesting, of course, that the students drink beer instead of milk. I remember hearing about some billboards in the south that they put up with some joking remark suggesting that fishing is cruel.

I too hunt, eat meat, OWN two dogs, and support medical research on animals. I think the hunting and research issues are more at risk than fishing, an example is the elimination of dove season in several states, but they are making scary progress.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I love this thread!!! At least everyone agrees on this one.

I gotta open my big mouth a little...

Maybe people just can't get it through their thick head that there has been animal cruelty since man has been a predator. Humans have slaughtered animals for thousands of years. Just because a small population of vegetarians think it is wrong to kill or hurt animals doesn't mean it is wrong. What is wrong is that they waste the small amount of time that they have on this planet. Is logging animal cruelty because runoff destroys the spawning grounds for adult fish? Is driving a car animal cruely because roads cross migratory paths
and kill deer going to a river? How about a mouse trap?

I understand conservation issues that affect specific animals as a whole but I don't understand why people focus on live animal cruelty.
What about city folk who leave their dogs at home in their apartment alone for 10 hours a day indoors while they go to work? Isn't that kind of cruel? Imaging being a dog and being in solitary confinement for 10 hours. This is more cruel than catching a fish that gets to live in the wild and live its whole life as a normal predator/prey species.

What is my point? No point! This is a useless opinion expressed to people who collectively agree on catching fish being okay.

Hatchery programs are a different story. Is it me or are we still rearing fish and mixing them with wild populations of fish? Is this okay?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Good point on the hatcheries, mouse traps, and everything else related to this thread. PETA is ridiculous but if we try to ignore them and think they have no impact, then that is when we as a community have let our guard down. They have done it in the past and I would hate to see anything, even the most miniscule result, come from their actions towards fishing. I love the sport and it rubs me wrong to think that an organization is trying to tell me it is cruel and inhumane and they are trying to stop me from doing it. Especially in such a day and age when our rights and freedom are challenged from outside our own country. They should be focusing on Bin Laden or some other cause that would actually benefit society!!!!!

PETA sucks is my only point I guess. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to say anything pertinent towards the petition, only that PETA sucks and people that involve themselves with such organizations need to focus their money and energy on something that is actually beneficial. Their whole campaign just makes me irritated anytime I think about it. Im gonna go fishing now :LOVEIT

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.