Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junior Dave Monti fan
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is willing to share advice, I'm heading down for some early-season trout fishing this weekend, targeting the the middle Deschutes, wading. I've never fished upriver of Madras, but planning to drive to the Bend area and intend to explore the section of the river that harbors both rainbows and browns.

I'm grateful for any words of wisdom on places to access the river and also to camp.

Thanks!

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Contact : The Riffle Fly Shop1-877-2-riffle hwy,26 Madras Or. They are just above the Deschutes in the canyon coming out of Warm Springs. They are familiar with the whole area. Paul Hansen is the owner Enjoy

·
Registered
259 Posts
A good place to start would probably be off of Lower Bridge Road in Terrabonne/Redmond area. Depending on where the flows are, the fishing might be great or just ok. From the parking area, hiking upstream can give you some interesting fishing in some of the side channels, especially if the flows are up. Walking upstream more than a half mile puts you on water that doesn't hold alot of fish-- it looks really fishy, but there's usually not much around. Hiking up even further puts you into some good holes again, so persistence pays off. Speaking of persistence, if you're able to make it downstream a ways, the fishing can get really good as the river flattens out a bit before you get to Steelhead Falls. If you're brave, and can find a way to make it below the Falls, the average size of the fish jumps up quite a bit. Below the falls, you stand a good chance of hooking into a Bull Trout, and the browns are quite a bit larger here than they are just a few hundred yards upriver.

Wading can be a difficult prospect due to the muck and mud you have to slog through to get to the water, and the rocks are slicker than snot if you wade in the main part of the river. The fish are on the smallish side at this time of the year, but it can be a blast throwing small dries in the side channels, and waiting to see if you hook into a brookie, a rainbow, or a brown.

Don't know how the fishing is going to be near Bend. This time of year with the irrigation flows about to kick in (they may already have), pretty much as soon as that happens the fishing kind of evaporates downstream of Bend. If you've fished D below LBC, you already know that this is the complete opposite from what the lower river experiences. Keeping that in mind, the lower, middle, and upper Deschutes are essentially 3 different rivers. The middle stretch is the more difficult one to hit right simply because the water flows fluctuate so much due to irrigation.

G

·
I'm staying at Eagle Crest this weekend but have had a hard time getting current reports. The concierge at E.C. said the river looked nice so that is encouraging. I also would recommend Lower Bridge, easy access and good fishing. Try small black stones w/ a pheasant tail dropper and regard Capt. Awesomes advice about wading. Cline Falls State Park might be good option for camping. Tight lines.

·
Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
406 Posts
I'll be at the crooked river this weekend in the canyon sections between prineville and prinville resivoir.I'll be camping at the cobble rock campsite with the clark skamania fly fishers.Stop and say Hi if your in the area.Crooked river is an amazing fishery with plenty of hefty redsides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.