Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gauging some interest; My dad is now in an assisted living facility and I have numerous boxes of transformers, engines, cars, scenery, track, etc, in my garage. Is there someone out there local (Seattle - Tacoma ) who might want this stuff? Some of it dates back to the 1950's or before; mostly "N" Gauge or HO. Good stuff. Shoot me a PM if you are or know of someone who might be interested in having it. I'm not an enthusiast or a collector.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There should be a model train museum around that would love that stuff. I know that there is one north of the border, friend of mine that died had a bunch of his stuff donated to the one up here.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
Steve, my Dad had a huge HO collection. He is in a nursing home now but to keep him occupied, I bought him a couple of battery operated kid's train sets. We started with one on a tray table and then I duct taped two tray tables together, then the maintence guy added some plywood....He loves the trains and plays with them every day. I have been thinking about a small N gauge set, although it might be too complicated for him at this point. So, I'd hang on to the N guage for a bit in case your Dad wants a small table top set eventually too.

I find that most of the activities in these places are geared towards old ladies. I bought Dad a remote control car that he can drive around the dining room after hours. I suggested to the activities director that she by some more cars and some cones and have race nights for the guys! And poker nights. And model building. And a train set for everyone. But nope, they just keep having lame arts and crafts type activities.

Table Furniture Tableware Cap Desk

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Just gauging some interest; My dad is now in an assisted living facility and I have numerous boxes of transformers, engines, cars, scenery, track, etc, in my garage. Is there someone out there local (Seattle - Tacoma ) who might want this stuff? Some of it dates back to the 1950's or before; mostly "N" Gauge or HO. Good stuff. Shoot me a PM if you are or know of someone who might be interested in having it. I'm not an enthusiast or a collector.
I use to be, but not much anymore.

My advice, separate the engines, and sell them individually.

You'd be surprised how much some of those are going for. I have a few, that are worth far more than I paid for them.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I do not like setting up model railroads.

I would pay an insane amount of money to destroy an intricately built one such as this.

I would orchestrate simultaneous natural disasters; fire, earthquake, tsunami, tornado, meteor, pandemics. Then we'll see how your little dream world fares. MUuuuuuuuUUUUHAhaAAWAWAHHHHHAAaaaaaaa.

·
Wishin I was on the Sauk
4,449 Posts
I do not like setting up model railroads.

I would pay an insane amount of money to destroy an intricately built one such as this.

I would orchestrate simultaneous natural disasters; fire, earthquake, tsunami, tornado, meteor, pandemics. Then we'll see how your little dream world fares. MUuuuuuuuUUUUHAhaAAWAWAHHHHHAAaaaaaaa.

Settle down there Austin :cool:. Loved it as a kid and kept my set up until my divorce when it mysteriously disappeared along with all my tools:mad:
Garentee there is a low income family out there with kids that would love it, maybe healing waters?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been in touch with Jerry and we are discussing the Healing Waters idea. I'd appreciate any ideas but I am way too old to start a new hobby such as trains and don't have the space anyway. Keep 'em coming. Sooner or later someone will step up for the stuff.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
There is an active group of enthusiasts that used to set up in the food circus at Seattle Center around Christmas. They may still, and would be happy to accept your donation. I know they let "Guest Engineers" (often young kids) drive the trains. It's a pretty big display, similar to the picture above. They would be easy to find, I expect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.