Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me introduce myself as I'm new to the forum and this will be my first post. I've never fly fished in salt water and have been reading every post I can find on here to school myself so I can then ask intelligent questions. So I guess my first question is this, Would it be worth my while to take the ferry to Kingston and fish the beach to the left of the dock? I've always wondered if it would be a productive spot? I understand that every beach is different and good fishing will depend on time of year, weather, tide, etc, etc, etc. But I'd like to hear from those who fish there and what you'd recommend I try. I'm not asking for your sweet spot at all, and understand I must earn my own secret spots by putting in the time to find them. My plan is to just head to a beach knowing what the tide will be doing at what times and bring along some top water sand lance patterns and clouser minows to toss out there. I've got a 9ft 5wt rod and a floating line at the moment but I'm looking into getting another reel with an intermediate sink tip line on there as well. I did use the search function but didn't find too much on Kingston. On another note, I do live in Ballard and it's just a short car trip down to Carkeek Park or Golden Gardens but I haven't heard many good things about productivity on those beaches.

Thank you,

Drew

·
545 Posts
Sounds like you're ready for the exploration part of your journey into discovering productive waters for SRC and salmon. Although I have never fished the particular beach you are referring to, it doesn't sound to me like a spot that many would offer up the yes or no type answer you are looking for about that beach. Many folks who fish the puget sound beaches have taken time to explore many of the haunts that they have found to be most productive. I've really only been at it for a little over a year and find it much more rewarding when I do some research myself and go discover a productive beach on my own. I recommend that you get out there and give it a shot when the tides in your favor. After all you seem to have all of the other pieces put together, now it's time to get out there and fish... Best of luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Exploration seems to be a key factor in this type of fishing which makes it that much more rewarding. I'm excited to get out there and maybe once I learn the ropes a bit I can meet up with some of you folk and hit the beaches.

Thank you,

Drew

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Drew, not sure that would be your most productive option in my neck of the woods but any good walk on the beach can find pleasant surprises. Exploring on this side, like on your side, will lead you to beaches with points, false points, freshwater sources dumping into the salt, structure, shelves, bars that parallel the beach that allow for fish running channels and lots of places for bait fish to hide. There are miles and miles of beaches on the Kitsap Peninsula that will more than fill your need to explore and many of them can be beaches with bonuses. There are also more than a few folks over here that stalk SRC and Coho from the beaches at various times. Maybe a few familiar names in posts you've read? Send some PM's, bring them a beer or lunch and maybe they'll take a walk with you on some of their not so secret beaches. Best of luck. Ed

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Never fished those areas. Had a local tell me on a scouting trip that the ferries pretty much have a detremental effect on the habitat around their ports. Not sure if that's true or not but I didn't try it out due to other more productive places on my list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I really just need to get out there. I'd have no problem buying some beers for whomever wants to take me out and show me a few things though. Hopefully I'll see a post one of these days and be able to meet up with someone. Do you guys every have any sort of gatherings where you'll meet up and just fish with other forum members?

Thank you,

Drew

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drew,
I live in Ballard and fish when ever I can. Although GG and Carkeek are a little slow now they are still worth the time in early mornings. A week ago Friday I got a sweet little cutt at Carkeek. I don't often have the time for a trip and as we say in Ballard if you can't get it in Ballard do you really need it?

Jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that's good to hear that those beaches can be productive. I know there is that stream that flows out right at Carkeek park. I figured that would be a good section of beach to try out.

Thank you,

Drew

·
YeeeeHaaw
142 Posts
Never fished those areas. Had a local tell me on a scouting trip that the ferries pretty much have a detremental effect on the habitat around their ports. Not sure if that's true or not but I didn't try it out due to other more productive places on my list.
I know of a beach that is pretty productive that is next to a ferry dock... but for the most part, that local is probably right.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
most ferry landings have steep beaches
and since you get stuck there sometimes
get the gear out and give us a report

the local ferry landing around here has some fat src's

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll make sure and always have the fly rod in the car from now on when I know I'll be taking the ferry somewhere. I do have a friend that has a cabin on Apple Tree point so I'll probably head over there fairly soon to fly fish that beach. We've caught nice silvers out there trolling cut plug herring pretty shallow from a little dingy so I figure why not try the fly rod out there.

Thank you,

Drew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.