Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello WFFers,

I'm heading to Bozeman for work Aug 2-6, and will be staying on for the weekend to do some fishing, somewhere around there.

I've never really fished that area. I figure between google earth, and google, and maybe even an old fashioned paper map, I should be able to stumble myself into some decent fishing..

But, I would be greatful for any suggestions on locations in, or near town where I can slip away for a couple hours before or after meetings during the week AND/OR suggestions for how to spend the Friday - Sunday of unfettered fishing time, keeping in mind that I have to fly out of Bozeman Monday morning. Any must fish rivers for that part of MT in August?

Also up to date hatch/pattern info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

In return, I can offer the latest on how to get skunked fishing for snakeheads and catfish in the DC metro area ;)

PMs welcome.

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Gallatin or the East Gallatin will have great evening Caddis hatches that time of year. The Bridge at Gallatin Gateway, go upstream, has excellent water and is about 10 min from town. For the East, go to Belgrade. Head North on N. Broadway, this turns into Dry Creek. Right on Hamilton. Park at the bridge and head either direction. Fore a day trip you could head into the Park and fish any number of excellent streams, Gibbon, Lamar, Gardner, Madison to name a few. Good luck, I miss the Bozeman area.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'll second Aaron's advice. Hyalite Creek just south of bozeman can also provide some evening fun...just head south on 19th Avenue towards the mountains and and the up Hyalite canyon there is a big sign that you can't miss. For the park I'd concentrate on the Lamar and Soda Butte hoppers should be going by then.

Josh

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - a really appreciate the in-town tips. So, for the open weekend you would recommend going into the Park? Is that a seperate license? What about the Gallatin? Madision?, Dillon area? Or anywhere else within a 2+ hour drive?

Thanks!
Eric

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
Jeez, Herl, you know the answer, you're in the middle of flyrod heaven! Tie on a #16 or #18 elk hair or a hopper, drive pretty much in any direction, and fish!

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Gallatin, Upper Madison (lower is a gong show with the bikini/beer hatch), Boulder, Stillwater, Jefferson, Beaverhead, Bighole, Missouri, Yellowstone, Yellowstone Park....take your pick they all should be fishing well and full of water.

Josh

·
gear whore
1,049 Posts
E, fish the Gallatin. Tons of good access, relatively close to Bozeman, with places to camp if you want. Madison between the lakes is always good too, Kelly Galloup's place is up that way. Get a guide to drift you down the Stone for a morning. Man, wish I could meet you out there!

·
Gnu to the board
333 Posts
I just got back from fishing the Madison. I found that to be a very challenging river. Not a bad thing, necessarily. What a gorgeous area though.

I'd probably fish the Gallatin.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
if you want to experience the gallatin, head to the park boundary and fish back toward town. amazing how the fishery changes with each mile you come back down. if time is limited, just south of 4 corners, you will encounter numerous cross roads that intersect the gallatin. there is river access at each of these bridges and best news of all, willing fish. great river no need to drive for miles and miles.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back from the trip. It was a good one, but as expected - not nearly long enough. I had three days for fishing and didn't get to fish all the rivers I wanted to. This way there will be more for next time.

I fished the Gallatin a bit, down in the farm land and up in the canyon; Hyalite reservoir one evening; the Yellowstone at Carter's bridge one evening and floated it one of the days - the fishing was slow on the float. I also fished the Shields, which was ok for some smaller browns and a few large ones that I broke off.. I also got to the upper Madison two of the evenings. On one of the evenings there was 40 minutes of a good spinner fall and I got two rainbows (15" and 17") and my largest fish of the trip - a 20" brown that turned out to be 19".. funny how that works :D

Overall, beautiful country. I hope to make it back again and give it the time it deserves. Thanks for all the tips - sorry I didn't get to put them all to the test.. Next time.

Eric (sorry for the extra large pictures - it used to be easy to put pics up on this site..)

View attachment 33341
View attachment 33342
View attachment 33344
View attachment 33343
View attachment 33339
View attachment 33340
View attachment 33338
View attachment 33337
View attachment 33336
View attachment 33335

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Great pics, thanks for the photos, it does say a thousand words. The second to last picture P1040427.JPG , according to my fishdeguestamator it's at least 20-21's! I hope to get to this area in the near future.

·
BAMF
369 Posts
i was there a the week before you and fished pretty much the same places except the upper madison and yellowstone. Most of our time was focused close to bozeman since we were moving a friend from one house to another. Spent our evenings and nights fishing and camping on the Hyalite Res. and mornings on the Gallatin. Never did great on Hyalite till the last 30 minutes of daylight and the first 30 minutes of dark. Caught plenty of small brookies, 1 grayling, and serveral cutts. The section of the gallatin we fished was not ideal but we made it work with the time restraints we had. Caught a few bows, a couple of nice browns around 16", and too many whitefish.
Fun place to explorer and never enough time. I'm heading back out for a two week trip starting Aug. 29th.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.