Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anybody fished Hog Canyon or Fourth of July in recent years?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  LeoCreek 
#1 ·
I used to take my boys out to Hog Canyon and sometimes Fourth of July to do some fly fishing from float tubes or the jon boat in March after the ice was off (or mostly off). We would wait until we had 3 or more days in a row where the temperature broke 50 degrees, and it was usually a safe bet that we could get on the water.

These are winter-only eastside lakes that close after March 31, and this was a good way to break out of the winter doldrums and catch some fish. The trout were generally larger in Fourth of July, but it was more technically demanding than Hog Canyon. Fourth of July was getting so shallow at the launch end the last couple of times I fished there, it was a bit of a pain getting to water of any depth...just wondering if anyone has hit this lake in recent years, since it has been quite a number of years for me.

Speaking of winter doldrums, it's like the frozen north at my place. It's predicted to get down to -3 degrees Wednesday and -9 degrees Thursday. Could be worse I reckon. Stay warm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.