Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
its open for kings right now. should be good wading on the lower part of the river, not sure about the upper river.theres lots of spots to put in a raft in the upper river, but im not sure its a good idea unless you have a good whitewater raft.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I do have agood whitewater raft but I'm not looking for a thrill from boating. Prefer the thrill come from the fishing. I think the river is open for dollies until the 15th. thanks for your response

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
The Cascade is not a river to float if you do not know it. From what I understand it can be a good kyak river for the experienced. It is named the Cascade for a reason.

·
Jasper hickman
325 Posts
If you decide to float the Cascade, especially the upper section I think it would be one of the most epic/great floats you could find in the NW, youll put in at the 2nd bridge after minerial creek campground, with a map youll find it pretty quick. Leave your shuttle rig at minerial creek, you do not want to pass this campground, its followed by constant class 5 water with a great chance of finding sweepers crossing the river, not many people raft this section and it has claimed a few lives. But the 2nd bridge to campgound would be fantastic, what dates were you looking at?

·
Registered
157 Posts
There were boucoup blockages last time I was up there. But that was in February and I'm guessing its way higher now. There were some monster dollies in there though.

I would be interested in hearing a report as well.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
There are a couple of areas of the Cascade you can float if you know what you're doing. High water and sweepers are not a good mix even for experienced boaters. Floating from Marble Creek downstream beyond the falls is a good way to kill yourself, so don't try it unless you're really an expert. The Mineral to Marble reach is low enough gradient to float, but may be filled with sweepers and trees entirely across the river channel. I generally don't discourage people from floating rivers, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Sg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the good comments. Definitely not expert on the raft plus as i said i want get my thrill from the fish not the ride. Will plan to hit it from afoot! Will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was up there yesterday. If i recall correctly, its only open from the bridge above the hatchery, downstream. The water is in ok shape, little fast but fishable. Lots of access on foot. Didnt hook up with anything, nor did i see anything caught.

G

·
I was up Sat. and drove up to the nat'l park mile 18, poked around..tiny water up there..back down and checked out both bridges..the higher one 70 had some decent looking water, the lower one is open flat water that looks decent way up or down but a mother to wade against...

I honestly didn't see any part of that river I would want to float...yeah some looks sic but mother of god there is some serious shit around every bend..Two hours of driving time to explore...but back down the the skag. and now there's some nice water to do a float on....

Still 0 for 3 on king on the fly...trout and bulls only so far!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.