Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody every done any fishing in Japan? I'll be traveling there on Business and will have a couple days to burn. Thought I would check and see if and what people have done?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Where within Japan is your biz travel taking you and when are you going? I lived in Japan for several years and until recently used to return there periodically for business, so I have a little bit of experience fishing there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tokyo and Suwa, but with a couple days to burn I'm hoping I can maybe expand out of the city a little if possible. If there was something within a reasonable distance I might be able to make it.

Any spots you would recommend? Species? I'm even thinking for future trips as well. I know I will be going back.

PM me if you want.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
If you can get up in the mountains near Nagano there are some small streams with troutlike ayu, niji masu (rainbows) , yamame (landlocked cherry salmon) and even some iwana (like a kundja char) in them. Iwana are a very cool char species, but most are very tiny by U.S. standards. I used an 8' 3 wt when I fished there in the mid 80s. The streams will be crowded, but don't try DIY. Go online and find a club with an outing you can join. Japanese flyfishermen are rabid people, the good spots require day permits, some are by lottery (or were) so you don't want to break the rules. "I don't speak Japanese" doesn't work any more on the cops. Prepare to drink heavily at the end of the day. It is beautiful up in that region and it is not "too" far from Tokyo...not that close for a day trip though.

Hokkaido has by far the best fishing, but I caught fish all over the damn place, even in Yokohama Bay in water with oil slicks glistening on the surface.

Or you can buy a big bottle of sake, rent a rowboat in the Ueno Park pond and toss a corn-baited handline and catch massive koi. Pretend you have Asberger's and foam at the mouth if you get caught. Or try the moat around the Imperial palace......giant carp abound, and probably still legal to fish it. Maybe not. It has been a while. You could always try the swimming-pool "fishingu centahs" in Tokyo. Weird but oddly entertaining after several large Yebisus and a belly full of unagi. Have fun.

·
Making poor life decisions since 1980.
27 Posts
my wife just moved here from osaka...she says the ocean fishing is great! and still free to fish. many times she would just throw a bare hook out and just SLAY the fish one right after the other. i know lake biwa, probably 4 hours by car from suwa, holds the 2nd largest world record large mouth, recognized just months ago after several months of scrutiny. the wife says no license needed there either. hope it helps, and dont leave nippon without eating tacoyaki!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.