Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an easier learner...I have to try everything for myself before I'll believe it....So while I've been told repeatedly that it's near impossible to catch a local king on the fly I keep trying..

Anyone else wanna play dumb and dumber? What are you using if you do? I'm trying both big and small, anything from euro salmon fiies (small) to bigger uglies (large)..gotten trout so far and one good tug...but that's it...

I know this is nw wa. and not the skeena but Bob sent me some pic's and it's got my blood boiling..

He's good at that...(Meiz. that is)

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Yes, I've been out several times this year to no avail. Caught some really nice trout, but no salmon. I tried skagit minnows, intruder style flies, spey flies, a black and blue MOAL, and just about everything in between. No dice...

It's really frustrating, but I keep at it...if nothing else I get my spey fix until fall. ;)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It's a long drive for most of you ... but the upper Rogue is ALIVE with the the things. Fish aren't in to flies, but a ball of bright red over a ball of 'Kelly' green fished right on the bottom will do the trick.

fae

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've gone after them in the past here in Washington and have had little luck. I've landed one nymphing egg patterns and have tried swinging but that did not produce. I've caught them swinging in Alaska and in Oregon but not here. Fred, I have a buddy that has had luck in the middle Rogue swinging for kings and I've caught them by accident in the fall when swinging for steelhead.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I got three friends that have swung up springers this season. One of them actually caught two. I have only touched one springer and it was swinging for shad on the Columbia. One of these days I guess. I have seen it happen for several friends over the years on different rivers down here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kerry, the muddler is intriguing but what hook do you use for them that wouldn't break? I tie tubes mostly so I could for sure tie on on them...I have used a muddler/sculpin pattern more in hopes of a bull but nothing yet on them...

Fred I believe you could catch a fish out of a mudpuddle...you got the mojo...Believe me I would be up on the rivers north or south if I could pull any time off so am limited to day trips and the odd weekend...My daughter is heading to school in Salem this fall so I do plan on exploring the Or. flows...

I have hooked ONE king a couple years ago on the cascade when fishing for dollies with a 5wt spey and 8lb leader...I watched him splashing his way up the river and timed my cast so the fly was right in front of him (pure guess work) I didn't think anything would happen but he hit and took off...way too much fish for that rod and tippet and he busted it soon enough...fished a cop car that day..Since then I've kept trying...

Since then nada but the one good tug a couple weeks ago....I can understand the dynamics of getting down in a deep hole etc. etc. and realize that is near impossible in some spots...I'm hoping a jack spring or smaller one will be pushed out and on the outside edges that will be enticed...I know all three other species are very do-able so keep on hoping that this is a nut that can be cracked..

If not, it's still a pleasure to be out on the river getting my fix and any fish is a good day for me that way..

If anyone has any luck or I do, I'll pass on what i've found worked...

Thanks..

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Appreciate the 'Kado's' G-Man, wish it was so .....bawling:

But one thing I've found from personal experience is fall Kings and Spring Kings are two very different 'animals.' Springer I have to work for (to put it mildly), the Fall run can be almost "too easy." The Fall kings on the Rogue (and Chetco) will go for most of the same (dark ties) that you'd use for Summer Run Steelhead. On the Chetco the 'go to' combination is a black chenille body with a chartreuse hackle. No idea what the fish thinks he's looking at, but chomp on it he will.:hmmm:

·
Rod tubes in the overhead compartment
144 Posts
Im trying for them at night at various beaches and breakwaters around lake michigan. Overhead casting with a 14 ft spey rod. Im just trying to dial in the best line for this application.
We don't have spring run fish. They just follow around alewives and put the feed bag on till september.

Hang in there !!!!! Dont follow the report. BE the report !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.