Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 6wt for rainbows and dollies in Alaska. Some bead fishing, wet fly swing with some leeches, skating some flies, etc.. Looking for something different. All my Scotts to date are fast action (S3, S3s, and E2). I love the other Scotts I have fished, but never seen the G2. Wondering if anyone is familiar with it. Good/bad/etc? Thanks for any thoughts guys.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I too really like my Scott rods.

If you like a medium action rod a G2 is a very fine rod. It is probably considered more of a dry fly presentation rod by many but has plenty of backbone to chuck streamers and such. It has a very smooth casting action and is quite accurate.

Another rod that is vey impressive is GLoomis' new NRX rods. I cast a 7 and 5 wt today and was totally impressed. It is a progressive action and casts well in close and all the way out as far as you can cast. It is forgiving to quite a degree. In many ways it is quite similar to the G2.

Dave

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I owned the 9'0" 6wt G2 and sold it. It was a tad sluggish. You CAN fish G2's with streamers, but probably best with lighter streamers than what you'd use in AK. The 8'4" 5wt is a great rod for hoppers and smaller streamers on spring creeks, for example. I think the G2 series is best in the 8'4" and 8'8" lengths in both 4wt and 5wt. I've cast and owned serveral G2's, so am speaking from experience.

Echoing Joe, the S4 series is probably a better bet. I have the 9'0" 5wt and 6wt (the latter with full wells cork). The 6wt would be an ideal AK trout rod IMO. I like that the flex profile is a bit more progressive vs. tippier rods like the B2X or Z-Axis. This gives the S4 a slightly stronger tip which aids controlling heavier flies. Great rods.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like a much softer rod for sure. Will find some use for it. If nothing else, it offers a change in my line up. Found a 9' 6wt for $470 on sale and couldn't say no. Will be fishing for bows/dollies Sept 18-30. Looking forward to seeing how this rod compares to my other Scotts. Thanks for the insights above.

-Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.