Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone fish Illabot?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  smc 
#1 ·
How is the fishing on Illabot Creek? Is it worth the scenery just to go?

#7 ·
I just threw that out there. How about the upper above the falls.

I Have fished it in the past before all these stupid closures. Did anybody with any sense check these streams out before they closed them down. Lots of them have barriers on them the spawning fish can't get over. Like falls.

#9 ·
Easier and cheaper to shut them down with a stroke of the pen than to hike them to determine if any anadromous fish are able to reach parts of them...perfect.

That is my post lunch crash crab ass response. Rules out a hell of a lot fun exploration with a fly rod in hand. What is next? If it is wet and fresh water it is closed?

#15 ·
Jesus christ boys, do we really need to catch dinky fish that much.

cds
Let's see...catching "dinky" wild trout in prestine wilderness with no one else around on water that probably only sees a small number of guys a season, or your large "trouphy" fish in well crowded over populated areas, with constent never ending dick measuring? Hmm, that's a tough one. At least I don't get low-holed on a mountain stream.

#12 ·
i don't know how good the fishing is , but the scenery is good. if you go up illabot creek rd about 20 miles there is a bridge and you can start fishing from there. make sure you take a gun or some bear mace , because there is an isane amout of bears up there. if you go up 22 miles you will be at the slide lake trailhead its only a mile hike and the scenery is good as well. the fishing use to be good , but it has become a very popular spot since the last time i fished it.

#16 ·
As Kerry pointed out, Illabot, like most tributary streams are now catagorically closed. It is an anadromous fish stream, and they migrate a long ways up it, past the low falls that WDFW used to think was a barrier to migratory fish. It has a very small salmon and steelhead run, but it is an important bull trout spawning tributary. If it were still open, you'd find a few small trout and juvenile steelhead, so it's probably better being closed.

Sg

#17 ·
According to my current fishing regulation pamphlet (top of page 36) Illabot Creek is indeed open during the summer season under selective gear rules.

As pointed out by Salmo g the majority of the fish in the Illabot basin are anadromous fish (3 of which are ESA listed). I have been fortunate enough to have hiked and fished most of the larger tributaries in the Skagit system and would place Illabot low on my list to revisit for either resident trout and/or scenic vistas. Though at one time Illabot Lake (wide spot in the creek) was worth a visit but it has largely fill in with sediment over the last 30 years and I don't now consider it to be worth the drive.

If one is interested in exploring mountain streams there are many summer's worth to be found in the Skagit basin. In your explorations you are likely to find lots of difficult going, many small juvenile anadromous fish, some spectular scenery and just enough fishing "nuggets" to make all the sweat to find them worth while if that is your thing. At least some of those "nuggets" can still be found in open waters.

Good exploring
Curt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.