Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local river is the Sky and like today she ran clear @2100cfs. Lots of snagging now that I fish from the beach, after a few years from the boat my favorite spots are shallow- 2ft up to 4ft. I think a full floater / heavy fly combo could do the trick?- its not purist I know this. I have never witnessed this type of fishing in a long time. Do any of you guys fish this way? Stupid question... Looking for a good alternative for days like today- low and clear. Thanks. This is a pic from the pyramid hole this morning with 35+ gusts. enjoy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2 -4 feet, nice greasy water and a sparsely tied or bushy bug with weight and a floater is money. if the water levels are like what you fish for summer steel head then it would be a good idea use a summer similar setup. just change it up when necessary. I see a lot of guys with the multi tip set ups act like they don't have the ability to change them out for something different when the occasion calls. sink tips are fine and dandy when you need them to sink, but you dont want to tickle the fishes belly either.

it also cracks me up when I see the good old key-board caster crew out on the rivers when the water is really low and clear throwing huge intruders and giant skagit minnows.:rofl::rofl:

·
AKA Beadhead
493 Posts
A floating the through skinny water might work right at dawn, but I think low and clear might also be the time to break your fastest tips, or even a big boy or full sink and dredge the deepest pools. Those fish will be avoiding the skinny water and if there were in there they would be skittish. I saw a huge steelhead (teens?!) from a bridge last week laying just lying at the lip of the tailout in a huge pool. Just me walking on the bridge spooked him and he exited the pool. I would have thought he would have went into the deeper part of the pool, but he went into the riffle below the pool.

Then again I saw a guy catch a nice native on the wenatchee last fall using a 2 1/2" pink and white fly in low and clear water. He was casting with gear and retrieving very slowly across the current.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I haven't in the past but lately, I have been thinking about using a sparse fly tied on a heavy hook in sizes 1/0 – 3/0 and swung a dry line and long leader. This is mainly due to the fact that I have been reading Dry Line Steelhead and Other Subjects by Bill McMillan. Nonetheless, the idea is intriguing, and I’m sure that I will experiment with it on some of the smaller rivers that I fish.

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
Like ChrisW said - in low and clear get out your fast sinker and head to the deeper pools. Except @ first/last light.

The two conditions I've used a floater successfully are low/clear/VERY COLD. These fish hold in really soft water and I've been successful fishing them with floater/long leader or very light tips. The other is high water where the fish are pushed near shore and you need to swing your fly into the soft currents directly below you.

Brian

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You've pretty well described how much of the fishing is done here on the upper Rogue. Once the water flow drops below 2,000 cfs a full dry line-head/loooong leader and weighted flies come into their own. There are runs, or rather sections of runs, where you really do have to 'dig deep, but you can run a poly-sink tip (change over if you don't have a second rod already rigged) to cover that bit of water.

fae

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
You've pretty well described how much of the fishing is done here on the upper Rogue. Once the water flow drops below 2,000 cfs a full dry line-head/loooong leader and weighted flies come into their own. There are runs, or rather sections of runs, where you really do have to 'dig deep, but you can run a poly-sink tip (change over if you don't have a second rod already rigged) to cover that bit of water.

fae
Pretty much covers the Trinity, as well. What surprised me was how small a fly can be effective in clear waters. Lots of fish taken on #10-14 flies.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Just checked the out flow from the Wm. Jess Dam on the upper Rogue (just above the hatchery at river mile 157) and the 'out flow' has been cut back to 947 CFS!! Geeze, that's as low as it can get at the end of the summer. With something like 3600+ fish over Gold Ray dam (30 miles down stream) this is really going to force the fish into the deeper runs. With a bit of luck, it should be a 'no-brainer' to figure out where the fish should be holding. That aside, getting them to 'strike' is quite another thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.