Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are talking about a family trip this summer and it's come up.

1. Fishing looks amazing up there.

2. Looks like I can catch two of the three species that I'm after this summer.

3. I have a boat with twin 55 gallon tanks that goes 71 mph, and can cover roughly 80% of 264 miles per day if need be (I prefer to not need to).

4. I have full sink lines and 5" flies.

Anyone have any experience with this lake?

·
Coast to Coast
792 Posts
Never fished it but have always wanted to. From pics I've seen some guys troll salmon dodgers for the lakers....just a dodger with a hook on the back end. Your 5'' flies might be too small lol.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Fished it twice for pike, walleye about 10 years ago and 20 years ago. Big, big water and lots of area to cover. Be careful of sunken islands, rocks with motor. Get best maps you can and pick an area. Are you fishing from a base camp or fish and move camps?

Lots of big pike up there. I fished conventional and fly rod ( 10 weight) . I did not find a lot of the typical Canada large shallow weedy bays up there but maybe not in right area of lake.

I threw a teeny 400 with large cisco patterns or trolled with large flies. Tucked rod under arm and did two hand retrieve. Also used a clear intermediate around the shallower wed beds. I was up in July and targeted areas from 8 to around 25 ft feet around underwater points, rock piles, weed beds, other structure. I used 60 lb fluoro for leader and seemed to produce more bites. Bring a large rubber net or better yet a cradle to handle large pike .

Caught lakers on trolling rod pulling spoons.

Have a fun time. beautiful country up there.

Check out some of the Canadian sport fishing web sites for more detailed info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.