Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been fishing the Methow or Twisp area rivers? How's the water look? Flows seem ok on the graphs, curious to get a first hand report. Any info much appreciated.

/Nailknot

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
No, I know nothing. But I think the Methow is one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen, at least where it runs along the road, Hwy. 20. I'd like to fish it just for its beauty, although I understand that much of the water along Hwy. 20 is mostly private. Like you, I would appreciate anything, even old war stories about the river.
Bob:dunno

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Not to appear to stupid,but aren't those rivers closed in certain spots. I usually have my regs next to the computer but I took them with me when I went out yesterday for a little trout battling. I decided to call it trout battling because if I ever caught one it would have to be a battle. Well back to the subject at hand. I :rofl thought that thoses rivers were closed. But what do I know.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Methow opens for trout June 1 from Gold Creek upstream to bridge on Hwy 20 just before Mazama. Great water to fish. I try and fish it every year in July. The last couple of years the water has been very low because of snow pack...the river is not fed from a resivoir. There is plenty of public access. If you need the latest, Stop by Mazama Troutfitters and talk to Scooter.

Jay

·
Registered
327 Posts
I live a stone's throw from the river...right now it's pretty high though it's dropping and clearing. It'll probably still be a while til it turns on as a trout stream. As stated, be careful about where you fish since a lot of it's closed permanently and the rules regarding this river are quite complex...it's all a good thing though since it's meant to protect the juvenile salmonids in the stream as well as bull trout steelhead and chinook spawners when they're in the river. Know what redds look like and avoid 'em when looking for trout. I've seen steelheaders standing right in amongst huge, obvious chinook redds on this river in the winter. Pity
Jack

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll be there on the 16TH. Will probably try the Twisp, upper Methow or Chewuck when I'm not on a lake. Give you a report when I return.

You could also try calling North Cascades Fly Fishing (800 572-0493 ext 735) or check their website: www.fishandfloat.com Beware: they will try and talk you into a day on Moccasin Lake ($175/day or so). If you have the funds, it's worth it. I go 2 - 3x per year. It's like having your own private Chopaka only the fish are bigger. My fishing buddy got back last week from there (had a 30+ fish day with several browns and a 12 lb rainbow thrown into the mix). In my opinion this and Grandma's Lake are the best pay lakes by far in this state. The fish are planted as fry (and they are now trying natural reproduction as well by enhancing the outlet stream) so they are as "wild" as those in Lenice, Nunnaly, Chopaka, etc. Just my .02 cents.

Sorry for the long winded response, I get a little "hot and bothered" just thinking about that lake...........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.