Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like I swindled Old Man out of his Togiak v-boat ;-). I have been searching everywhere on the web for reviews but I keep finding the same blurps that dont really tell me much. What im looking for is to find out if your butt stays completely out of the water and remains dry all day and also how durable the boat is? It sounds like it might have vinyl bladders which some say is not a good thing?? :dunno :dunno . I have never used a float tube and have only used my pontoon so this will be a big change and im not sure what to expect?? Just looking for reviews and/or advice.

~Patrick ><>

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

Boy you say one thing to me in private and then blab it all over the internet the next day.

It doesn't keep my butt out of the water but I don't think anything could except a real boat. No the seat is made up of two three inch high blocks of foam inserted into a space that is two small for them to fit. The bladders are vinal like but I don't know what else they could be made up of. They fit into one into a side. Full lenght is just about 5' long but light as a feather. I am just not happy as to how it does things for me.

If you would of came over to our camp site at Dry Falls you would of seen what it looked like. and then you could of made your own judgement. But I had too look you up and wander around in the dark until I found your camp.Boy what a way to treat an old man. As to what it looks like,it is yellow and black and shapped like that one of Ropers,a half of a banana.

Jim

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...come on Jim....did you get any sleep yet?? And for the record I wandered around till I found your camp, with a little help from Backyard and Bhudda....remember??? Then you'all came over and kicked it at our camp :p :p .

Hey Jim, email me at [email protected] so we can figure this shipping thing out...or call me at the work number I sent you.

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a togiak that I use occasionally along with a Dave Scadden v-boat. Like Jim said, it does not keep your backside dry. Depending on your size you will be sitting in 2 - 5" of water all day. It is still better that the old style hammock seat u-boat. As far as the vinyl bladders they are okay but nothing special.

I did find out that they patch easily.:beathead That of course means that they get holes in them also. I was at Lenice and sat on the edge of the pontoon to put on my fins and put a small puncture in one of the bladders. Which of course I didn't know until I got out on the water). It was a slow leak but it meant I had to stop and reinflate the bladder every couple of hours. All this because I sat on the tube on dry ground. I am much more careful now.

Then I got a new second v-boat, a Timberline made by Dave Scadden. :D :D :D It has whitewater grade 1500D material on the bottom of the pontoons and 600D on the top. (So far no more leaks) The seat is air rather than foam so you barely sit in the water, only an 1" or less and you have a much better seat back. It is a little heavier than the Togiak but it folds up smaller and is easy to pack. The tube cost about $30 more than the Togiak but I like it a lot better.

:beer2

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Hey Patrick, I truely don't believe that there is a float tube keeps your arrs Completely out of the water. I have the Outcast Fat Cat and my butt still gets wet, but barely. I would think that a float tube with an 3" air seat would keep you High & Dry'r than a 3" foam seat like the fat cat. My wife said her Riggs(3" air seat) kept her dry the whole day Saturday? Humm. Good luck!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts

Quit trying to change his mind.I've already sent it from my end. It's for his better half. And being the tiny woman that she is,she should stay dry.:dunno

Jim

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope too late.....I changed my mind. Oh I guess that means I get the tube and the rod }( :p :rofl

Im gonna give it a shot on friday and see how well it works for a 195 lb person....then hand it off to my wife and see what she thinks of it. I am gonna try and rig an anchor setup so any input there would be useful?? Also Im thinking of ways to line the inside between the vinyl and outside material to protect it from unexpected punctures?? :dunno

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So were you able to get it broke down with out breaking it?? I hope it didnt cost too much to ship out??

Canvas?? Good idea! not too awkward either??

So do the others that use float tubes carry patch kits with them?? If so what kind of patch kit, ie..bicycle patch kit??

~Patrick ><>

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts

Everthing that I got with it I'm sending with it. No I had to cut it. Bad Jim:( . It will be just like getting it for the first time.Found the box.

I hope it don't cost too much because if it does I might just be making a trip to Spokane and hand deliver it myself. I feel like I'm up for a long drive. It's like going fishing and not catching anything. That is something that I'm really good at. Boy I don't think that it's something I should be proud of :bawling .

Jim:beathead

·
Registered
131 Posts
There was a patch kit that came with the tube. It sounds like you will be getting the whole works from Jim so you should have everything you need. It worked well because I have used the tube for about a year now without any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.