Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some IMX blanks for $154.00 with a free component kit and free shipping?? I spoke to a local shop and they told me the IMX are comparable to the new GLX series?? The local shops wants 570.00 for the GLX and they said the IMX was not much cheaper?? So I think this deal of 154.00 is awesome but wanted some input. I casted the GLX and loved it. Thanks all

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hello Patrick, your fellow Christian brother here Peter. As far as the IMX goes, from what I understand the IMX is one below the GLX, considering the IMX being discontinued. The IMX is a cross between the GLX and GL3 from talking to a few knowledgable fishermen, the IMX is a somewhat Fast rod like the GLX. You have an awesome blank there. I myself mainly use a 10'GLX 7w that a co-workder "gave" to me, it was Brand New never used.
If you want to know the story behind that, email me its kinda funny. Good luck!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
As mentioned in a previous post, if I'm not mistaken, the IMX blanks were produced a few years back. The ones that I've seen have a reddish color. This generation of graphite was the precursor to the GLX. IMX are very fine rods and I own one of them. They are fast, not quite as light as the GLX, but fast and great. At the price being asked I'd pick it up.

Skinny

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have actually had an IMX until just recently. I was given an 8wt IMX and liked it alot, it was a custom rod. I broke it last year and sent it back to loomis in December for a replacement. Loomis replaced the rod with a Trilogy, factory wrapped rod, with a retail of 455.00, I was very impressed with loomis, and the Trilogy. So I would say the IMX must be similar value to the Trilogy, which by the way, I love.
good luck enjoy the deal
crump:thumb

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard the same thing from a local shop. They claim it is the same blank just different guides, ect...??? Either way they claim it is a darn good rod and the simple difference between them and the GLX is the weight??

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have had a 6-wt IMX for years that I cannot say enough good things about. I think it casts way better that the GLX. My IMX will double-haul 60 ft into the wind, and it will also turn over a 16' leader on 4 feet of line. Many people don't like the aesthetics of the finish or the hardware that Loomis uses, and I'm not crazy about the single-foot guides they use, but that wouldn't necessarily be an issue on a custom rod.

I say go for it.

G

·
Hi Patrick,

I discovered this pricing at Cabelas and ordered a 9' 5weight kit the other day.

The IMX was a highly-regarded Loomis line serveral years ago and then discontinued. It was just reintroduced as a 3 piece blank last year. If you are looking at the same cabelas kits that I purchased, these kits come with the new 3 piece blanks.

dave

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have not used the trout-sized rods, so I can't speak to those.

But, for saltwater rods, Loomis seems to engineer their tapers for casting, not fish fighting. I have broken the same rod twice (in different places) fighting large offshore fish, while my Sages and Scotts have never had a problem. Retailers I know tell me that Loomis rods have a longstanding reputation for breaking. Yes, of course they fix them, but both times I had to resort to backup rods for the rest of the trip.

When you cast a 10 or 12 weight GLX the thing feels lighter in hand and quicker than is possible, but if the thing breaks when you really need it, the casting advantages are simply not worth it.

I won't buy a Loomis rod again. Like I said above, though, the trout rods and probably even the steelhead rods may be fine.

Circlespey

G

·
>...Loomis seems to engineer
>their tapers for casting, not fish fighting...

Hey maybe I should get a Loomis steelhead rod kit too since all I am doing is casting (no catching)
:)

dave

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have three Loomis rods, an IM6, an IMX and a GLX. Love and use all three. The IM6 is a softer shorter rod great for small water. The GLX is a four-piece 9' 5 wt, and the best stick I have ever used. I especially like the tip action as it seems to set hooks well on trout especially on stillwater. Takes a bit of line to load the rod, however, so not too good on the South Fork Snoq. But it will easily throw 90+ feet on a double haul. The IMX is 8 wt. Light and strong, great to cast all day with larger flys and seems to have the guts to stop big fish (best to date a 16' Atlantic).

I understand from conversations with some Loomis folks that the biggest problem is that Loomis uses very high quality and lightweight material, but that makes for a thin wall on the rods. If you nick the rod, like with a heavy fly zooming past, the nick will weaken the rod, and it is likely to break at this point. This happened to me with a Sage SP+. Which was replaced no questions asked by the way.

As others have said, decide what you want the rod to do, and go to some shops and try a few. Buy a few flys at least for their time. Then decide on what feels right.

Ronbow

·
Registered
197 Posts
"The IMX is 8 wt. Light and strong, great to cast all day with larger flys and seems to have the guts to stop big fish (best to date a 16' Atlantic)."

Wow, How did you do it? An 8 wt. and a 16' Atlantic. What did it weigh? Can you give us more particulars on your adventures with this fish?

Just kidding. I am assuming that you ment 16# Atlantic.

:thumb

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oops, yea, it was 16#. Great week, landed 17 fish, broke off several more. Plus several pink salmon. Didn't land a fish the first 2 1/2 days as I was a newbe, but then had a 10 fish day. In Russia.

Ronbow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.