Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
holy cow, well, jobs don't come easy for a guy my age at 53. Hello Senior member ; ) I grew up fishing the Upper Rogue river in trail, shady cove and have 20 yrs of continues fly fishing experience. Some of that fishing inshore for stripers and I just spent the last 6 yrs living in Alaska, on the Beloved mighty Kenai ; ) I moved down here to Kent, in April and was planning on moving to Bellingham in mid sept or around the 1st week of October, after my work is finished at a Tacoma refinery. I'm honest, and have great integrity. I haven't missed a day of work in over 20 yrs. No kidding : ) I'm a great teacher, i like to study up on new products, i know what works, i care about the customers needs and have steady confidence in getting them into the right gear. I have many years of shipping/receiving, as well as customer service. This would be heaven on earth working in a dog gone fly shop : ) I'm Dan. I also have an uncle still living in Shady Cove, OR and my dad down in Cali just might be moving up to live with him next year.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
Tigard, eh? That's also the location of Kaufmanns Streamborn's main store. Must be a coincidence . . .

K

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Leland, remember Maynard G. Krebs in Dobie Gillis? WORK???

Scoutii304, there used to be a small fly shop in Wenatchee, but it closed last year. There's nothing else in the area unless you count Hooked on Toys, which has some stuff, or Der Sportsmann in Leanvenworth. No jobs worth looking at, though, but I wish someone would open a fly shop here in Lederhosen Land. It wouldn't be able to make a go of it, though. The Icicle will shut off promptly on 01 October like always, and we'll be hitting the Methow if it opens for steelhead. There's a decent fly shop in Winthrop at Gardiner Mountain Inn, and a fly fishing section in the general store in Carlton. Unfortunately, the Methow Cafe closed, and the building's up for sale. Problem is, the streams in the area may or may not be open, and there's not enough activity unless you're willing to drive. If you have a tank of gas, there's a ton of places to hit, but it wouldn't support a shop in the area. What surprises me is that Forks out on the OP doesn't have a fly shop. Unless you count the "Yellow Dog", where the guy's too interested in playing computer games and spitting into the wastebasket to even look up when I entered the store....

G

·
It is hard for me to believe that I could feel more welcome and less out of place in an Orvis store than in a local fly shop but that will almost certainly be the case when Orvis opens in Tigard... Kauffmans is one of the most elitest, least welcoming retail establishments I have ever been in.

·
Castaway
384 Posts
Wasn't it Countrysport? They were an Orvis dealer but not a company store.
No it was not Countrysport. There used to be an Orvis specific retailer in the area. Tualatin maybe? I can't remember exactly where it was except that it was on the west side somewhere and I remember going in one time. It was everything Orvis.

I'm not totally happy with my current job, but I think it's fairly secure. I would love to run a fly shop and I have retail experience, but think a new fly fishing/outfitter retailer in this economy seems risky. I'd hate to give up a good job for a dream job, only to have the dream job go buh-bye after a year or so.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
State income tax???? so freaking what. No sales tax!!!!
Tigard would be a good place to live. I lived in Beaverton, the ducking hunting rocks.
I'd be in for that move, but I've got a good job and sweet life right here.
Plus I hate moving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just moved to Mulino so tigard is just down the street. I have 3 years experience in the Fly Fishing industry and I would be interested in applying for this position. Miyawaki your inbox is full I tried to PM you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.