Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to table test a Galvan reel at the FFS Saturday and I liked what I saw. I'd be interested in feedback on how they work on the water with a trout in tow....

Roper,

Truth above all else

·
Registered
410 Posts
I bought one this december and love it. I bought the OB 6 and use it with my 8wt, it's sweet. I took it to Hawaii and it preformed flawlessly in the saltwater. It doesn't have a drag that will completly stop a reel, but how often do we really need to stop a reel? I am thinking about buying one of the smaller reels for my 5wt as well, their drag has great adjustments that still work even when it is hardly engaged. I would suggest one if you want a finely made trout reel and would feel confortable being the only one on the water with one. Give one try, you wont be dissapointed.
crump

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 3.5W, which I had originally bought for Silvers in Alaska, and Stripers when I got home (Sacramento area at the time). My personal opinion is that I wish I had bought a different reel for the bigger fish species. It handled fine on the Silvers, but the reel just does not have the stopping power that is needed for fish like Stripers in big open waters. When I did tighten the drag down as far as it would go, the drag simply broke. This was on the first larger fish (~ 20lbs) I had hooked with this reel. I do have to admit that I still like this reel for smaller species, and one for a 5 weight would be a welcome addition to my gear. Their customer service is superb, and they fixed the drag with no questions asked. I would just suggest getting a different real if you are looking to fight Kings on it.

Hope this helps!
:thumb

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my for about a year now and love it. I've got the OB5 (clear) for my 6 weight. Very smooth drag and a silent retrieve. My personal opinion is its the best reel for the price. I would definitely buy another. As you probably know they offer a life time warrenty on there reels. Hen:smokin

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've used the 3.0 for almost three years. No problems with it at all. I really like the adjustability of the drag. I normally start out with a fairly light drag, but once I have a larger fish well hooked, I adjust to the fish and the current. Piece of cake. I know several other fly fisherman that use them and they love them too. I honestly don't know why Galvan doesn't get more publicity. Perhaps a bit pricey, but in my opinion well worth it. Local shop is trying to talk me into the new Ross for the 3 weight I just bought, and I've looked at it, but it's going to take some effort on their part to get me to switch (they sold me the Galvan). Anyone have any experience with the new Ross line - I think they're called "evolution" or something like that - the metal is coated in a purple color. Looks kind of cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.