Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in the Sage ENS reel with a very large arbor and internal weights designed to get very precise rod balance for tight lining or Euro Nymphing. Does any of the members on this forum have any experience with this reel?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I have these on our euro rods. I have an Orvis Recon 10' 3wt and she's sporting a Thomas and Thomas Contact II 10' 3wt. We've been able to balance both rods nicely. Drag and retrieve are smooth. So far, they've performed well and we have no complaints. We've landed large fish from here to Montana and they've never let us down.

·
63 Posts
I have the ESN on a T&T 3wrt 10' 9" Contact II. As already mentioned, it balances well with the heaviest weight. I like the reel but don't know if the ability to adjust weight is that big a deal. I used to have the reel on an 11' older Sage ESN rod and the set up was tip heavy. Didn't really bother me, but sometimes I would choke up on the handle and put my index finger on the blank. Would the heaviest weight be an issue for a 10' 2wt rod? Don't know but I doubt it. If I had to do it over again, I'd look harder at other options as well b/c "tuning" the weight doesn't seem like a big advantage to me at least. Just go with the heaviest reel that balances your longest rod and it should be fine for the shorter ones too. My POV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts