Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
It used to be Granite Lakes in Skagit County, page 97 in your Gazetter.

I was last there in 1977. The grayling in the most southerly lake (Upper) were crammed in the outlet stream. They were so busy spawning that they wouldn't bite on anything. Since they don't dig a redd, little cutthroat were busy picking up any eggs before they hit the bottom.

The better fishing was in the outlet creek, Boulder, a couple miles below the lakes. "Montana" Black Spots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whether those Grayling in Granite are still there is a good question but I'm hopeful to get in there this summer for a look-see. I have been to Granite & surrounding areas many times in the early to late 80's and have seen those guys swim by in a school which is obvious with their high dorsal fins, maybe 50 or more fish at a time. My buddy threw a tiny larvae looking fly attached to a bobber out there in a crowd of em and pulled in a 18" Grayling. The only time I know of anyone actually catching one of them. They are not for keeping so must be released if caught. The Boulder Creek road was always 4 wheel tough but I've heard the lack of logging opportunities have left that road without maintenance for several years & it may be impassable on the upper 4 or 5 miles or so. Sad to also say but the worst forest destruction I've ever seen also occurred up there. Entire hillside of old growth was felled and not recovered by the logging firm! Maybe they came back the following year to harvest it? Don't know for sure. After that, the area had lost much aesthetic value and it was a sight you honestly never even want to go back and look at.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

Well I can say that I wouldn't mind the drive. Because the fishing is usually very good anywhere in Montana. But,alas by being laid up I just can't seem to go any where. Jim S. :THUMBSUP

Also known by cantcatchem66 :COOK

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have heard many stories about the Greyling up in Granite Lakes. I tried to get there last summer but there was a gate accross the road just as you start up the hill toward the lakes. It looked like quite a hike up there from the gate so I bagged it and went elsewhere. I'd love to get up there but access seems pretty difficult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.