Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tryin' not to get too comfortable
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Going through a couple of my boxes of little-used equipment I seem to have collected over the years, I found 4 reels. A couple are ones I bought in pawn shops when I was starting out, one was a trade for a rod I never used, and I'm really not sure where the other one came from.

Normally for summer trout I run a Ross Evolution 1.5 reel (on a Winston or GL 4 wt rod), but I have a few upcoming trips where I want a back-up reel, or one for Amy. I'm looking for light weight, durability, and ease-of-use.

Anyway, they are:

1) Shakespeare 1094

2) Pflueger Supreme 1795

3) Martin 61

4) Cortland Crown II

Overall the Martin is the lightest, and the least modern, and I really like it, even though I haven't used it for 20 years. It's really noisy, though.

If you have any knowledge and opinions of these reels, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
I have a number of the Martin Tuna Cans (60, 61, 62, MG-3). They're as simple as they come and balance well on short or very light rods. I use all of mine quite often. If you're fishing a 3wt or lighter rod you really don't need anything more fancy...it's just holding line. I also have the Cortland Crown II reel. It's got a decent tension drag, it's quieter and goes well with a couple shorter fiberglass rods I fish. It's heavier but a much more solid reel than the Martins (less the MG-3, which is by far the best of the ones I've mentioned).

·
tryin' not to get too comfortable
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuna can? I've never heard that before, but it certainly fits. And so the decision is made.

Tonight, I took the old line and backing off, pulled it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, put new backing and line on it, and took it out on the lawn to check it out.

You're right, Dave. It balances well on a 7.5 ft rod. It was pretty clunky on a 5-wt 9 ft fiberglass rod, as i recall.

Plus it would be really cool and circular if Amy caught her first fly-rod fish with that reel. It's the reel I caught my first fly-rod fish with, many years ago.

·
Old to the board
91 Posts
Anything that holds line is a "good enough" reel. Remember we are not the first generation of fly fishers to fish for steelies, and the fish we catch are smaller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.