Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts
I would not be bummed if the spey fishing fad for steelhead thing fizzled out.
I can't imagine what the method has to do with the end result. That being said, I wouldn't be bummed if the side-drifting or bobber-doggin' fads petered out. But I'm not an elitist so whatever method a person chooses save snagging is okay by me as long as there is a healthy respect for the fish and the other fishermen on the rivers.

I wouldn't guess the number of fly anglers is the problem, but is there data available on that? Online vendors are the anti-poon for small retail shops. There is going to be an indefinite uphill battle for those businesses in this industry and many others too. What about the number of fly shops, is that factor? How many more shops are there now than 30 years ago??
Does anyone have to buy new rods or reels? For the last 10 years the improvements in materials and rod weights and drags reel weights have diminished....computers are similar.

I hope there are fewer steelhead salmon fishermen fly or gear .

I'd also like to point out that getting started in fly fishing, if you're buying everything new, is expensive, especially if you're trying to gear up from a local shop, and the gear is all made for fairly specific circumstances, which you need knowledge/experience to navigate. Or, at least, a helpful store employee.

I don't want to name names but there are a couple of fly shops in the Seattle area that are not necessarily easy going or friendly towards newcomers. I overheard a younger fellow last spring in a shop asking the fellow who worked there all kinds of questions on getting started. It was a lot - the kid clearly didn't know much but did seem very interested and excited - and the shop clerk was not doing a stellar job at answering his questions, and then did a pretty bad job and helping this kid look at gear. Took him straight to the $500+ Sage rods (the kid said he didn't even have $250 to start), then straight to the Sage reels, completely ignoring their Redington and Scientific Angler selection, which is well more preferable to recommend to an absolute novice than $1000 worth of high-quality specialty gear.

The kid said thank you and left without getting anything or asking any more questions once the guy started basically ignoring him. I can tell he had that "I don't think I can be a part of this world" thought process going on through his head which is actually pretty damn soul crushing to see. I actually hate the premise of exclusivity, it drives me crazy. I really wish I had gotten that kid outside and talked to him. I do regret it.

So let me ask this: What else should we expect other than a decline in fly angling numbers? Times are tough on people's wallets, and this sport is expensive to start new. The sport revolves around a lot of what is actually protected and guarded information (on our parts, I might add) that they can't really get, and also requires a lot of free time to really enjoy it. Who has lots of money, free time, and the ability to coax information out of people? The answer is almost never someone under the age of 35, sadly.

My prediction is this: A vicious cycle. Fly fishing dominated by the upper and upper-middle classes in this country (look at your fishing friends and observe), majority males over the age of 35, and an overall decline in our actual numbers as the remaining retailers and suppliers start targeting these demographics and leaving everyone else behind. Hopefully that doesn't happen and some new blood gets pumped into this sport.

I'm reminded of my own start in fly fishing. I nearly suffered the same experience as flyaway 44 spoke of 25 years ago. I had an old fly rod that was a gift that sat in my closet for a few years before I decided to give it a try. I went to a big box store to get a line for the rod and learned immediately that there was a line weight I needed to know and he had a line that would probably work for about $70 that was like sticker shock since I never had a spinning rod that cost more than $20 and this was just the line. Luckily the salesman was interrupted by a phone call and when he left a guy that had overheard our conversation suggested that I go the local fly shop and get expert advice.

So I went to the Greased Line shop in Vancouver and met Mark Noble who sold me the right line plus leaders, tippets and a few flies and it cost less than the big box store line. He also recommended I take his fly fishing class which was for beginners. I took the class and remember asking beginner type questions such as "whats the difference between a wet fly and a dry fly?" The class included casting lessons and during one of the lessons Mark said he wanted to try casting my old fly rod and handed me his 6wt Sage to try. I bought the Sage and over the years have bought all my gear there. I also took classes in steelhead fishing and fly tying. My point being is that the Seattle store should have offered a beginner class which helps get new guys started who would also become loyal customers.

Now sadly, the Greased Line is closing as Mark is retiring and planning to spend some quality time fishing. Sadly for me and many others locally as we will have to travel to Portland or a big box store for gear and materials but glad for Mark.
store for gear and materials., but glad for Mark.

because you wish there were fewer anglers? i doubt there are many spey folks out there who went from not fishing to spey fishing for a fad - who would just stop fishing if the fad fizzled out. but maybe i misunderstood your post...
Really? I never saw more than one or two spey fisherman a year before about 2005. And during the last 5 years the number has steadily increased. But yeah I am sure that's not a fad.

I can't imagine what the method has to do with the end result. That being said, I wouldn't be bummed if the side-drifting or bobber-doggin' fads petered out. But I'm not an elitist so whatever method a person chooses save snagging is okay by me as long as there is a healthy respect for the fish and the other fishermen on the rivers.
Yeah It just gets old seeing a spey fisherman in every fishable spot on the OP in February through April. Just taking up space waiting for that one tasty grab. lol

Really? I never saw more than one or two spey fisherman a year before about 2005. And during the last 5 years the number has steadily increased. But yeah I am sure that's not a fad.
i'm not criticizing your characterization of it as a fad. i don't have an opinion about that. i just wondered if you wanted the fad to end so there would be fewer anglers on the rivers....cause i would expect a guy who started spey fishing in 2010 was almost certainly already fishing some other style in 2009, and will still be fishing some other style should he abandon spey casting.

i'm not criticizing your characterization of it as a fad. i don't have an opinion about that. i just wondered if you wanted the fad to end so there would be fewer anglers on the rivers....cause i would expect a guy who started spey fishing in 2010 was almost certainly already fishing some other style in 2009, and will still be fishing some other style should he abandon spey casting.
Yeah I know what you are saying. I would rather anglers be taking up space that they have a chance of actually catching a fish in. It gets really old hiking into spots or rowing past a ton of water knowing there are probably fish there but they won't be caught. If a person is swinging good swing water and his fly is fishing where the fish are then more power to them. But don't give me shit and act like you own a run that is 50 yards wide. Your fly is not fishing on the far bank!

One thing I have noticed is the are a few organizations that take kids fishing now. I can't remember the name of the one in particular that I'm thinking, but a vet found his peace in fly fishing and started teaching city kids how to fish. I think if more shit like that starts up we'll be able to keep the sorry from reverting to the old rich white guy sport again.

What do you expect when fly rods are selling for $850 and fly reels for $350+........Hmmmm? Total croak of poop.
Yeah thats why you see rod companies being hot commodities in the world of finance. They charge so much for their rods that they are all becoming rich and wall Street wants their cut.

Yeah thats why you see rod companies being hot commodities in the world of finance. They charge so much for their rods that they are all becoming rich and wall Street wants their cut.
hey I did my part to help finance a few fly shops !

Not sure that getting started is that spendy. Echo has a entry rod, reel, line, leader and case that starts at $150. Redington has the same set up for $110. Can not speak for other fly shops but some will work a deal when you are buying rod, reel and line together. Yes online business is another factor that is why you will see some shops also offering a online store. Nothing beats a face to face with a good fly shop and knowledgeable people.

Well you can't really fish with just a rod and reel. Lines, flies, and the appropriate accompanying gear will still set you back, as well. Let's not forget how much good boots and sunglasses cost, not to mention things like waders and good rubber nets and the like.

And you'd be surprised how many people can't just slap down the better part of $200 on a whim because they'd like to a try a new sport. It really isn't so easy in this economy.

Well you can't really fish with just a rod and reel. Lines, flies, and the appropriate accompanying gear will still set you back, as well. Let's not forget how much good boots and sunglasses cost, not to mention things like waders and good rubber nets and the like.

And you'd be surprised how many people can't just slap down the better part of $200 on a whim because they'd like to a try a new sport. It really isn't so easy in this economy.
True, but if a person is just getting into it with a limited budget there are options. Good pair of entry wader and boots will run about $180, trout net $24-$35, sunglass about $20-$50. You don't need the top line items to get started.

As someone who has just finished their second season fly fishing on a very low extracurricular budget (halfway through college), there is no doubt that many factors contributed to my initial financial leap into the sport. Online retailers, local fly shops, an older fly fishing mentor, and a ton of stubbornness all played a part. My mentor got me started on general info (line weights, terminology) and general brand recommendations. For my bigger first purchases (rod, reel, fly line) I had no choice but to shop online. Free shipping and endless sales on any and every baseline set-up was unbeatable. The smaller stuff (tippet, hemostats, flies) were bought at local shops to start making relationships and learning about the local waters. My first season was spent without waders, polarized sunglasses, a pack, a net, or even a real fly box, because at that point they were all non-essentials. This meant wet wading the Spokane River from October until March.

Although I still borrow stuff from time-to-time, I am more or less "kitted out." If I had bought everything that I have now (baseline everything) during that first leap into the sport, it would have costed $700-$800. No independent 17-23 year old man can confidently lay down that much cash on such a leap of faith. Luckily, I ended up falling in love right off the bat, was patient (stubborn) with the amount of gear I could afford, and stuck it out until I could afford to fish comfortably. This couldn't have been possible without online deals, local shop knowledge, and a super encouraging mentor who was always willing to splice on another section of flouro for me.

This is by no means to "toot my own horn," but more-so to say that there are many factors involved in initially affording this sport, and for me shopping online fit into that puzzle. As much as I wanted to "shop local," that wasn't a reality. Nowadays I definitely try to stop by the shop and consistently show my support through small purchases. However, if nothing else, this is just another encouragement to be a mentor to a younger angler, especially if they are low on funds.

1) No, numbers aren't falling. Simple observation, they've flat-lined. There are a lot of efforts being made to bring in newcomers, but it just doesn't seem like numbers of new people starting are exceeding those that have stopped fishing. I have no data to back up this claim, it is simply a gut feeling from observation on the water, airports, and in the shop.
2) The nature of retail sales is evolving, fly shops either have to adapt, or die. That being said, there is no reason why a fly shop can't still be the same shop to BS at for a couple of hours while the guy behind the counter boxes up gear he sold to a guy in Norway.
3) Price of gear is not deterring many people from buying. Stand in IAH, FLL, HNL, or DEN airports for a day, watch how many brand new $1,000 rods pass through, strapped to shiny new patagucci backpacks. Talk to the folks at Sage, or Scott, or Loomis, those poor folks burnin' the midnight oil keeping up with demand.
Yeah It just gets old seeing a spey fisherman in every fishable spot on the OP in February through April. Just taking up space waiting for that one tasty grab. lol
Sounds like those dudes want it more than you do if they beat you to the bucket/run ;)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.